Any idea why my HDMI port doesn't work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by that1guyy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. that1guyy macrumors 6502

I have a late 2013 15inch rMBP. Earlier today I tried to plug an hdmi cable into the hdmi from the port on my mac onto a TV. For some reason, it just wouldn't work; the TV screen just said "no signal" or something.

My friend had to bring his laptop and he got his to work in an instant. He has a two year old HP. Sad that my super expensive mac can't do something this simple and his much more inexpensive computer has no issues.

Any ideas?

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Have you been into system/ displays and checked that mirroring is on?

3. that1guyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that "show mirroring options..." was checked.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Maybe try a different cable? They do sometimes vary in quality.

5. durkkin macrumors regular

Show mirroring options is different than mirroring displays. Go to System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement and make sure the TV is detected.

Attached Files:

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

As far as I am aware and my experience is that when you plug you Mac into a TV with an HDMI cable it should automaticlly come up as a second screen. You should only need to make changes under system preferences to determine what you want to display on the screen.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have gfxCardStatus and have it set to Integrated only?

8. Ardmanz macrumors regular

This.

For some reason, once, my MBP decided not to switch over to dgpu (gfxCardStatus was set to dynamic). I forced it to use the dgpu and it worked fine.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on how it's set up. I have the TV set as primary with mirroring.

10. that1guyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the arrangement tab only appear when it is connected to an external display? I don't have that tab currently. But I will try it out when I try again (wasn't my TV)

Also, I do have gfxcardstatus on integrated. Didn't know that caused issues. Thanks for the heads up!

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Of course you can change it to whatever you want in settings but my experience is that the default is that it comes up as a second screen. If the OP is seeing nothing then something else is wrong other than a setting parameter.

12. everfangomanga macrumors member

So did this solve your problem? You need to set it to discrete/dynamic for HDMI to work!

13. that1guyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Haven't tested it yet. It was my friend's TV. I might have time this weekend though and will update this thread.

Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully there isn't a hardware problem with the port.

14. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Probably not, don't say "my super expensive computer can't do this" without having checked it first :)