Any idea

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tyroler, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Tyroler macrumors member

Tyroler

why there are soo many G5 for "Spare or repair" faulty?
    But not seen a 2.3 ghz at Ebay faulty and very Little G4's
    googled a bit around but couldnt find an Answer.
    what i found is,that upgrade CPU for Quicksilver are down to $155.- for 1.6 ghz,which gives me the Idea to stick on G4 and don't do much with my G5
    Have here a 2x iMac g5 and 2x desk top,all not working.swap caps on the one iMac,the second has a few lines on the Screen and freezes from Time to time.actually always when he's needed.Will try to back logic board or replace if not other works then back to Ebay.
    One g5 desktop gets a intel logic board with Quad,i keep myselfe.power Unit i use from a MDD which fits in the socket and i have a DVD RW unit from a studio Computer i put in.
    the other 2 g5 desktop,one is a 2.00 ghz frozen and the other seems me a early 1.8 Ghz with 4 Ram Slots and a big G5 Cover over the CPU

Yep,have a Xserve 2.3 ghz logic board with CPU,but not sure if CPU fit in G5 2.3 ghz desktop. if yes i could look around for a G5 2.3 ghz with a failed CPU.
    there are a few 2.5 ghz and 2.7 ghz around,but how to maintain the Cooler.I'm not really brave enough to risk frying the Board or/and CPU with leaking Cooler.
    Anywhy.As lion will not fit on early intel mac,so they will be shortly on the Marked,i think.
    Was reading last someone changed the Intel CPU to a newer,but he didn't mention which socket they are.On the other Hand gave he a description how to change the Command,that the Mac accepts the CPU.
    All about as im in need to move on.Got me a house in the Alps,and there are not many Mac-Users around,and i need to have a machine,+ Back-up machine,and maybe some Parts,for Cost as Low as possible.

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Anything with a G5 CPU is part of an era at Apple that produced the most unreliable and all round sketchy computers Apple has ever produced since 1976 when they started. The G5 CPU on it's own is not the issue but rather most of the hardware surrounding it. Mostly things like capacitors, logic boards, power supplies. This is with both the towers and iMac G5's.

The dual 2.3 has proven to be the most reliable one over the years but it's still has a failure rate over double anything from the G3/G4 era. If you ever buy a G5 tower stay away from the dual 2GHz or any liquid cooled system. The first dual 2GHz has proven to be the most unreliable overall and the liquid cooled models cooling system doesn't even understand the word longevity.

3. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

When you say dual do you mean dual core? I thought the 2005 models were the most reliable.

4. zen.state, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Both are reasonably the same in terms of reliability. The dual core is ever so slightly faster. Neither are liquid cooled. Only the quad 2.5 and dual 2.7 have liquid cooling. They are both from the 2x 2005 PM G5 releases Apple made.

Edit: Just remembered that the 2004 dual 2.5 also has liquid cooling.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've owned a few PowerMac G5 systems and in the years I serviced Macs, I can't say I personally saw that many that had failures. Now the iMac G5's are another story. Lots of bad PSU's GPU's and blown caps on those bad boys, but nothing a PSU was a $100 fix. I would say avoid the iMac G5 unless you don't mind soldering some Caps, and if you find a PowerMac G5 thats still running strong now, its probably good.

6. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

2 CPU's

7. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

lol that was to Zen, i forgot to specify that :)