Any ideas as to what apps SDK will actually bring?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londondude, Feb 5, 2008.

1. londondude macrumors regular

Im looking forward to getting some apps on my iphone but I would like to know what will they actually be?

Any clues/ideas/insights on what I can download and what they might do?

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

IBM are working of Lotus Notes integration... and there was some financial software in the works I think. Probably have to pay for these though...

3. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am hoping for some good games, I do not want to Jailbrake my iPhone so.....

4. londondude thread starter macrumors regular

oh i see, so actual programs not little useless things. that will be cool.

have to search for a thread on what sdk people are after.

5. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Does anyone think Apple might kick off proceedings once the SDK is out with applications of their own, at least in order to show how the downloading system will work with iTunes?

And what they might be?

6. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

7. londondude thread starter macrumors regular

8. rayward macrumors 65816

...except that the camera is on the opposite side to the screen.

9. glide macrumors regular

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Pocket iWork, and a native client for Simplify Media.

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I really hope that apple does release a least one program of their own. However, It would seem odd considering they could just add a program through software update. It is definitely going to be interesting and I can't wait for at least a program where I can save and view documents (besides mail).

13. knoxtown macrumors 6502

That would be AWESOME.

14. SRSound macrumors 6502

Seconded

15. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Did anyone see the commercial. My friend saw it and called me up. I wasn't watching it, but it was about the SDK. It featured Facebook. :confused:

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I've been thinking, and although i really would like iChat and pocket iWork (and i REALLY would like this) I really want a drawing app of some sort. Just something that hit me. It seems that it would be really fun to be able to draw stuff with my finger, it just seems like it would be extremely cool.

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like the iWork for iPhone idea. At least a version of Pages (or whatever the word processor is) with the use of a horiz. keyboard.

I'm hoping for a Quicken app that would sync with Quicken 2008.

Some sort of voice recording app is a must. That would keep me from having to tote around a digital voice recorder at times (plus I could save the audio to iTunes easily).

Other various stuff like traffic/weather apps would be nice. I just hope it's not as underwhelming as all the stuff I saw for the Palm Pilot years ago.

18. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Correction, it WILL be awesome:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/technology/personaltech/01pogue.html

19. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Well, this post took a turn for the worse.

First they could start by finishing the apps they've already got on here.

It blows my mind. Blows it. Blowwwwws it. ...that they haven' friggin come up with a way to sync the damn notes program.

Then, there's the fragments of a To-Do List in place, and no To-Do List program.

Those are probably the two most useful apps any handheld could run. Next would probably be a SYNCABLE (you hear that, apple?) "Numbers" app so we can keep numbers on the sucker... oh how I dream of the day my new $500 wonder device can open my simple budget spreadsheet like my hokey Dell Axim did ten years ago...

Then there's the matter of Safari not caching pages. Dum. Not much point in opening a new browser window when going back to the previous one means having to reload. Heck, I could use a "back" button and not have to fiddle with opening and closing them all out...

But I'm really looking forward to seeing what sort of pretzels the 3rd party programmers have to twist their apps into in order to make a functional app that can run without the ability to save or open files to the device.

Top notch first effort, this iphone, but after all this time, I'm seriously losing patience with Apples insistence on crippling and retarding it, assuming we're all a bunch of inbred simians that can't basic handle disk-access mode functions. As much as I love what this thing COULD be, and it goes with the rest of my Mac stuff, it's currently at best a time waster, and at worst, totally friggin useless.

As much as I love the iPhones potential, I can't actually work on potential. The only thing keeping me from selling this device (aside from its beauty) is the uncertainty of what AT&T's two year tether will cost me for doing so.

If Googles gPhone is half this nice with more user-friendly (which is different than idiot-friendly) capabililties, this iPhone's toast.

Dang, I guess I didn't really realize how much this has been bugging me... Yikes.

20. drb6 macrumors regular

House

I saw the new ad for Facebook on iPhone today too. It ran during House on Fox. Looks pretty neat, although I didn't connect it with SDK at first.

I like the way its been organized. Anyone find if the ad is posted anywhere? Youtube has some videos of the functionality but not the ad itself.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BT_O_BZK8r4

Sidekicks have mobile Myspace, I guess iPhone now has facebook!

21. salimdao macrumors member

salimdao

i havent seen the commercial yet, but i dont think Facebook has anything to do with the SDK. Facebook on iPhone is just a WebApp that has been released before the SDK was even announced.

iChat and mobilescrobbler are the only two Apps that im looking forward to.

22. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

No one knows anything about the SDK except that it's coming.

23. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

24. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

As has sort of been mentioned in this thread, the facebook has absolutely nothing to do with the SDK whatsoever.

It is just letting us know that facebook has an iPhone friendly version of it's site available (which has been around for weeks).

25. moel macrumors 6502

and quite frankly is rubbish, and even more useless than ACTUAL facebook

Either way, i'll be looking forward to proper mms :) (seeing as swirlymms was half way there)