Any ideas for a "Virtual Scanner"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TraumaBrain, Aug 28, 2011.

1. TraumaBrain, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

TraumaBrain macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2011
    21 Jumpstreet

Newb here with tighty-whities on! I am looking for software that will fool my mac into thinking that a image that I can supply is coming from a scanner.

Now for the backstory...

I am an untalented musician :) and am trying to import a .gif file of a music score into a music composition program. This particular program allows one to scan musical scores into the software to be read by the software's OCR funtion. I dont have a scanner. I DO have a gif file of the particular score that I am attempting to scan.

I would like to be able to convince this music compostion software that my "scanner" is ready to copy my score, when in fact I am simply supplying a .gif/jpeg/etc file to the software.

Catch my drift? Any ideas of how I can make this happen?

Thanks for the help!!!

2. munkery macrumors 68020

Dec 18, 2006
    What program are you using?

It doesn't have any other import options?
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    What is "This particular program"?
  4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Convert your image to .tiff and your OCR software should be able to pick it up directly.
  5. TraumaBrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 28, 2011
    21 Jumpstreet
    Thanks for the response everyone!

The "particular software" that I am using is Finale 2011. It does not have any sort of other import options.

I have converted my image to a .tiff file but it didn't matter because I don't have any sort of interface between the converted .tiff image and the Finale software, so my mac does not see any scanners available.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any sort of software/program/interface/etc that will "convince" my computer that whatever software it is is a scanner. This would allow me to perform OCR on any image without actually having to have a physical scanner to do the job.

Kind of like how you can have a virtual dvd (MagicDisk), or a virtual computer(VirtualMachine). Possibly even as SoundFlower, which presents itself a an audiodevice to the computer.

Im not sure if I explained that correctly...

Thanks for your help so far everyone! :)