Any Ideas For Connecting Two 5K iMac's So They Run Simultaneously Together?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Inframan, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Inframan macrumors 6502

Inframan

I pretty much know the answer to this question but i was hoping some of the more advanced Mac users could answer my question.

My Current Mac Pro
    (Mid 2010)
    (2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon)
    (32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC)

Its life is coming to an end. It's getting slower and slower and harder and harder to keep up with the newer software updates.

My Two Cinema Displays are outdated and one display is failing.

So its time to upgrade.

Im not sold on the New Mac Pro...Im not a fan of the Trash Can style design and overall if I'm going to Drop 10 Grand on a new Desktop its not going to be the Mac Pro, just not worth the money to me.

I would however love to figure out a way to run two iMac 5K's side by side. Somehow utilize all the processors together if at all possible (I know this sounds dumb, but its worth a shot asking)

For around 10 Grand Ill get two 5K displays and a super powerful setup which I need for work.

Any ideas, Suggestions or recommendations? I highly doubt Apple is going to release a 5K stand alone display anytime soon so this might be my only option.

2. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

You can definitely run two iMacs side by side, but as for having them operate as one, not a chance. Although that would be a cool hack :)

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

From what I hear you cannot run in target display mode.

4. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

I know i could use one as a display, that would be easy but the question is, do i want to spend $2500 bucks on second display? The New iMac configured the way i want it is $4400,00 plus tax. I could get two for about 10 Grand but if i could somehow utilize both by running one single OS, that would be amazing and super powerful.

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

No you can’t. See above.

6. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

Unless they changed something according to this guy its possible.

7. DCLocal macrumors newbie

No secondary display support?

The iMac Retina does not support target display mode but is that just for a 4K display from something like a Mac Pro? I presently have an iMac that also serves as my PC monitor; I love the convenience of one display for two machines. I don't understand why the iMac Retina can't support lower resolution Display Port displays like from a PC at 2560 x 1440.

Can anyone confirm if this is supported on the iMac Retina or is displaying any other source totally not supported? If not does anyone have any thoughts as to if this will be supported in the future for the last 2014 iMac Retina?

8. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Target Display Mode on the new 5K iMac is not supported in any way, shape or form. Even at lower resolutions. Nada. Zilch. Bubkis.

9. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

You could try something like this - http://synergy-project.org

It would still be two separate computers but with sharing being so easy with newer versions of OS X you could make it work.

10. w00tini macrumors 6502a

I love the philosophy/pioneering behind this post :)

would be awesome to harness the power or 2x riMacs

11. leenak macrumors 68020

They did change something. with the non RiMac, you can do it, but not with the RiMac.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

hmm, long shot, but what about screen sharing. hmm problems.
    There was a utility for using an iPad as another monitor. Why not the same with a iMac ...

13. Thessman macrumors regular

I guess XGrid is what you're looking for, but you will need to install OSX Server to utilize it.

14. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I said in the other thread on this, that would be a very kludgy edge case solution. Apple tends not to support those because they look terrible (literally, in this case). I would regard the probability of official support as near nil, although it's not impossible that someone could write a hack to make it work.

15. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

With a non-Retina iMac, you can use a second non-Retina iMac as a display. However, the Retina iMac cannot be utilized as a second display because an interface has not been released yet that can push the amount of data necessary to run a 5K display. It will eventually come, but not until Skylake and Thunderbolt 3 are both released, and Apple includes both in a future version of the iMac 5K. My best guess is that we won't see this until two iMac revisions from now.

As for combining two OSs and associated hardware to operate as one, that does not exist. And if someone could successfully engineer that feat, they would be much better off designing and inventing their own operating systems and computers....or being hired as a Senior Engineer by Apple for their immense skills and talent.

If you need a lot of power, I would strongly suggest buying a maxed-out version of the current MacPro and adding two 4K displays. If you spent your money carefully, you could probably do this for around $12,000.

Bryan

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are some apps that can link two OSx systems to run a specific program - they split between systems. However, these are not typical apps.

Linking two physical systems so that all apps work would need some serious work on the OS itself. It is easy enough for an OS to split work between processors on a single system, but if you add a 2nd physical system it becomes a lot more difficult. For example, If system A is running app A, but app A has all of its' files on system B it would slow things down terribly since all apps would be choking the inter-system links.

I used to work in operating system software, and adding a 2nd physical system requires rethinking a lot of things. Mostly one system has to become the master and the other the secondary.

I wouldn't expect Apple to come up with this kind of change in OSx.

17. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

I could see someone doing a halfway decent software implementation using Thunderbolt networking. It might not be perfect, but it should be possible to make it work using compression and only updating pixels that change. You could get a usable TDM simulator this way.

...and about five people would actually use it.

18. Inframan thread starter macrumors 6502

Inframan

Interesting, This might actually work. Ill have to research it more.

19. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

Xgrid works for specific jobs sent out to an array/grid, but it's not an operating mode for two computers to share the load continously, as if it were a dual-processor Mac Pro (for example).

While the base idea is there, you'd likely need to build something custom on top of Xgrid to get this working the way you describe it..

EDIT: While Xgrid is apparently dead/unsupported, there are some alternatives listed in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1412900

20. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

what are you needs that are driving the quest to have 2 computers work together to solve your problem?

Not clear at all, just a subjective "
    "

again, state you business needs clearly then a solution can be outlined for you.