Any Ideas how to troubleshoot this "Problem"?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by LightningRod, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightningRod macrumors newbie

This started popping up every 20-30 minutes after installing Lion GM. When using Safari or Chrome either one with nothing else running clean boot etc. Never saw it before installing Lion, seems to be random I have no idea what the trigger is.

PLEASE HELP!

[​IMG]

2. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

It would help to know what you're trying to do

3. LightningRod thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying to get the error message to quit "popping up" it is very random (and anoying) while browsing on the net CNN, Facebook just very random the message pops up I click ok it comes back again then goes away for 10-20 minutes and pops up again I always have to click okay twice to get rid of it I have no idea what is causing it.

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Do you have a network drive that auto-mounts?

5. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Yea I got that from the thread name

Does it pop up when you aren't on the internet?

6. LightningRod, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011

LightningRod thread starter macrumors newbie

No network drives - after reading another thread I have turned off time machine (that backs up to a usb drive).

I found a thread where a few people had this problem with an earlier release of Lion and a couple of them thought it related to time machine but if it is I'm still don't know a "cure".

I am always "on the internet" -DSL- Mail is usually running, and either safari or chrome.

I occasionally use Lightroom or photoshop but doesn't seem to be relevant.

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Read the error message before jumping to conclusions. Something is clearly trying to launch a file as a URL. That could easily be a Photoshop or Lightroom TSR component.

8. LightningRod thread starter macrumors newbie

It does this all the time while browsing it started within minutes of installing Lion GM and doesn't stop, this went on for 2 days before starting or using LR OR PS but I agree anything is possible. I have turned off all browser extensions, cleared out "connect to server" in finder went to network connections and deleted everything but my internet connection. Nothing seems to help I have looked through my log file (i'm not a programer) and nothing stands out, but if it were a snake I might get bit :)

I have googled the error message and searched on other boards and found very few people with the same problem and no definite answers :confused:

9. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

That's actually too bad. It would be relatively easy to write something that will find the owner of that window.

10. LightningRod thread starter macrumors newbie

...Hoping someday soon I will be able to buy a thumb drive that will plug in to my ear and install knowledge in me brain!

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Since you're not a programmer why are you messing with Lion? I'd stick with SL and give Lion a little time to mature.

12. DreamscapeRuins, Jul 15, 2011

DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

Have you checked out this thread? Theres a few other people with this problem floating around here. From what I've gathered from a google search, it seems like its coming from TextEdit.

13. LightningRod, Jul 15, 2011

LightningRod thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that it matters LightningRod is a he :)

I did read that thread, it is where I came across the possibility of Time Machine causing the problem. After reading the thread I unplugged my Time Machine USB backup drive turned off Time Machine plugged my drive back in and turned TM back on it has been about 2 hours and no pop ups.
    I still have my fingers crossed not completely sure yet but think I fixed the problem.

I wonder if this person who has no business on here could have found a solution to a problem the self proclaimed "professional developers/programmers couldn't" ?

14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Sorry if I have missed this in the thread

Have you looked in console when the message pops up, see if it says any more about what its trying to do

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP,
    My recommendation is to contact apple via the apple developer forums regarding this issue. Apple has set up support mechanisms for their beta programs and if you're having issues use that avenue instead of here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.