Any ideas if a new MacBook Pro 13" will be released this year?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EasyA, May 9, 2015.

1. EasyA macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to decide when/what MacBook to get.

My thinking is to wait until the summer/June to see if they release a new MacBook Pro 13", or does anyone know when they'll release this?

Also, would anyone recommend the new MacBook over the pro?

Thanks in advance!

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

A new 13" rMBP was released in March alongside the new MB. Don't expect another update this year. It comes with broadwell processor, force touch, and Iris 6100 graphics. I just bought one for my little brother, who is going into college this year. I found a new baseline model for 1100$ including tax on eBay. I would wait for a deal, but it is the computer to buy as of now.

Matt

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

The 13" rMBP was updated to Broadwell and the new trackpad in March, so its probably the least likely summer release, with the most likely being a matching Broadwell + force touch update to the 15" just as soon as the mobile quad-core Broadwell chips are out.

The next major revision to the rMBP line will probably be dependent on the next generation "Skylake" chips and Thunderbolt 3 - which uses a new, smaller connector and could allow for slimmer MacBook Pros.

Given its only a few weeks until the big developer conference on June 8, it would be prudent to wait unless your need is urgent. However, there's absolutely no guarantee that any new Macs will be launched then.

It's not impossible that they'll announce all-new, redesigned Skylake rMBPs then (and skip a Broadwell 15") - Apple have had 'scoops' on new chips from Intel in the past - but I wouldn't hold your breath. A minor Broadwell+force-touch update to the 15" probably wouldn't warrant a launch at the conference, and could be released with minimal fanfare at anytime.

If you're definitely after the 13" its probably a reasonably safe buy now - but everything has been messed up by the Broadwell delays so there's no certainty.

Not if you actually need the power and connectivity of the Pro.

I think the target MacBook customer is someone who has a more powerful computer on their desktop and finds they can't quite get by with an iPad on the road.

Its also going to be a slight pain until a wider range of USB-C devices and adapters appear (as they probably will).

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

As people have mentioned the Retina MBP was updated fairly recently. If you're talking about the non retina version that hasn't been updated in years, that one isn't going to get an update and is just being kept around for those who don't want an external optical drive. I'd guess it has a year or so until it is so outdated that Apple discontinues it and we only have retina models.