Any ideas on how to fix a stuck latch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ride9650, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

The title says it all, any ideas anyone?
    I pressed the latch to release the screen, never popped back out. Its an SR MBP.

Im trying to avoid having to go back to the apple store, but if I do, any recommendations on which ones in the LA area have the best service? Also, do you see this as being a repair that necessitates sending it off to the repair depot? Im hoping not since I need this for school.

Thanks!

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Get a business car and slip it under the lid so you can move the latches out of the way.

3. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

I apologize, I probably was not too clear,lets give this another shot...
    the screen got released, and I can use the computer, its just the latch release button is stuck inside the computer.

4. klymr macrumors 65816

Is it the latch itself, or the button? The latch; do as suggested. The button; try pushing it back out through the holes where the latch hooks go through the palm rests.

5. jeremyschultz macrumors member

I had this exact same thing happen to me yesterday: opened the MBP just fine but now the latch button is stuck inside and the lid can't latch. I am not having any luck pushing the button out with a paperclip though—I don't think I am able to reach it.

6. TheJayWay macrumors member

When I took my MBP apart to replace the HDD I had a similar problem. Crazily enough I was able to fix it myself.

If you take out our battery and look at the bottom of your mac from back to front you will see there are 2 screws that tighten towards the outside of the case. If you adjust those you should stop the binding action.

7. Ride9650 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies everyone, actually ended up just going to the Apple store the same day, figured.. what the hell... I think the genius did the same thing TheJayWay recommended.

8. jeremyschultz macrumors member

I went to the local Apple Store as well and they fixed the problem. They took off the casing and I guess some food or a kernel or something had fallen in there and jammed the latch button! :p