Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I have been using Basil as a recipe database since my ipad 3. With the 14.8 update, the app no longer functions, doesn't seem to be available in the store, and the dev site hasn't been updated in a spell. I'm wondering if there's any way I can salvage the recipes, I was keeping personal ones there as well as web ones and I can't open the app at all anymore...

(and before you ask, no, I don't have a current backup of the ipad I could restore to, but I DO have an older one that I was planning on if no other options work)

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I have been using Basil as a recipe database since my ipad 3. With the 14.8 update, the app no longer functions, doesn't seem to be available in the store, and the dev site hasn't been updated in a spell. I'm wondering if there's any way I can salvage the recipes, I was keeping personal ones there as well as web ones and I can't open the app at all anymore...

(and before you ask, no, I don't have a current backup of the ipad I could restore to, but I DO have an older one that I was planning on if no other options work)

Not easy, but it might be possible to retrieve app data from the iPad backup. Do you remember if the backup was encrypted?

If unencrypted you can see what you have for iPad backup files using the Manifest.db for example:

sqlite3 Manifest.db -csv -header "select * from Files" >> manyFilesFromiPadBackup.csv

Also you could just grep for a unique word contained in the recipe. That would lead you to the correct backup file but you still would need to parse it.

It would be worth emailing the Basil developer. They might be able to tell you exactly where to find the recipe database files and in what format they are in.

If encrypted and you know the password, you could try a Mac utility called iPhone Backup Extractor

Reactions: disconap
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.