All iPads Any ideas on how to make phone calls using an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by albertfallickwa, Apr 28, 2014.

1. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I have a Google Voice number that I use and was wondering what is the best way to make phone calls using an iPad? I plan to get a LTE enabled one this upcoming week or so.

Talkatone? Skype? What is the best way?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. albertfallickwa thread starter macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can either pay for minutes or earn free minutes quite easily. Their site should explain details.

5. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

I've been a longtime Talkatone user. Google is currently changing Google Voice to restrict third party apps from using it's service. Talkatone will no longer work with it in a couple of weeks. Hangouts is the app to use for it now. It's not as nice a calling app as Talkatone, but it works, it"s free, and I'm getting better call quality than I ever got before.

6. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

A year ago, I would have said that no matter what you choose, get a headset. But then an associate of mine started using his iPad in conference rooms where there were multiple participants. For example, he'd have four to eight people in the room with him, and I and few other folks would be dialing into a bridge.

The iPad blew away every deskphone or starphone I've ever used in terms of picking up people who weren't as close as they should be and working around background noise. I was shocked.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This would be true of the Air, and perhaps of the other full size iPads. However, if you are using a Mini, the speakers might sound too small. My mom always complains the sound is too small when she picks up FaceTime on her Mini, and wants to switch to the Air.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I spend a lot of time traveling and use Skype, Whistle and Hangout. I have a Skype number that I forward my iPhone number to when out of the country.
    The mini is the perfect size. I wear cargo pants and the mini fits easily in a pocket. I seldom use data on the phone and have considered going to a dumb phone.

9. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

In a conference room, one option is to have the iPad output to the room's PA.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

TextMe is good but it has too many bugs...It often crash when you add link to contact book and also when you attach picture to text/message, it will crash as well. :apple:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never had such problems, but I'm only one user, so I can't speak for everyone.

12. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

In the UK, if on O2, use their free app TuGo. Simples - squeak!

13. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

14. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I also use Google Hangouts with my Google Voice number and it works extremely well, both on my iPod Touch and iPad Retina Mini with iOS 7.1.

The Touch is ideal when out-and-about (assuming you have a wifi connection) - even smaller and lighter than an iPhone. The Retina Mini makes a great office speaker phone when on a stand. Superb audio quality.

The voice quality in both directions is better than the cell connection with my Verizon dumb phone.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see. I used it on my iPad Air. Maybe it might not work for the Air? Thanks anyway. :apple: