any ideas why my mac won't 'see' my WD Passport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roisin and mac, Apr 19, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, I'm using a WD passport external drive for Time Machine with my MB. I normally use it with the USB cable that came with it, which works fine when I'm home, but I'll be going away for a wee while, taking the drive along to continue backing up, and it would be nice if I could skip taking the cable as it's quite a thick one, and awkward to keep tidy. It's not much, sure, but I've tons of things to take along this time, so every little bit helps when it comes to saving space. So I tried the drive with a really small, retractable USB cable I already had lying around for using with my cr@ppy little digicam when on the go, and it doesn't seem to work--the drive does not show up on the desktop OR in Finder.

Now, I suppose I could just Suck It Up and pack the thick cable and the retractable for the camera. But then, I'm known to get bloody-minded about things, and have convinced myself there has to be a way to have a neat, eminently packable little cable to use with both the drive and the camera, and now the idea's got inside my fat head, it's hard to get it out :rolleyes:

So:
    any ideas why this cable might not be working, even though at first glance the connectors on the retractable cable are the right ones?
    any ideas on what I can do if this particular cable is just no good? I mean, I don't object to getting a new cable for travel--they seem pretty cheap on eBay, and as I still got a good few days, there should be plenty of time for anything I order to arrive in good time. But I'd have to be sure this ain't working because the cable I got is the wrong one, rather than for some other reason, not to mention I'd have to make sure the cable I buy to work with the drive will keep me covered for the camera too. Otherwise, not much point :)

Thanks!!

2. henigushi macrumors newbie

Use the right cable!

Sounds like you're already aware of what you need to do. If you're looking for a more convenient USB cable, check the specs on your drive and see what USB standard is used, and then shop for a USB hard drive cable with the same standard. USB has been around for 13+ years, and there are multiple formats, so it's always best to go with the cable supplied by the hardware's manufacturer.

Good luck!

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That and the WD Passports are notorious for requiring a bit more juice.