Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kendaluk, Mar 7, 2008.

1. kendaluk macrumors member

The general vibe for the Time Capsule is not to bother... people say there is better and more affordable solutions out there...

Well what does everyone here use? My Wireless router (A Freebe from orange) is messing up, so am looking to upgrade but i would like the option of a printer server and a wireless back up (if possible)

thanks for your help?

2. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

There is a netgear router available, which i couldn't find with a quick look, but it has USB ports attatched to it, in which you can add printers and External HDD's to.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Time Capsule isn't just a wireless router mind.

If you are just after a wireless router, get the Airport Extreme. Definitely worth it. Very easy to setup too.

4. Kinetic macrumors member

Well for me it was definitely worth it. Yes, there are cheaper solutions but my needs are simple and I consider my time valuable. I like my Apple products that just work with minimal hassle and time. My TC has been perfect. My old Linksys router used to need rebooting and my Appletv could NEVER connect through it. Well, I just plugged in my TC, set up a new network (plugged the Linksys in to have it be the b/g only network and have TC be an n only network) and everything just works perfectly. I back up to it with multiple Macs, AppleTV works perfectly with it and I haven't even thought about it since I set it up a week ago. My Xbox and PS3 connect to the internet via the Linksys (since it can only handle b/g networks) and my iPhone does as well. Just my thoughts and experience. Some people would rather save the money and some like tinkering with gadgets to figure out how to make them work. Me, I'm lazy! :D

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I don't agree. I think alot of people (myself included) are disapointed in Apple for leaving us stuck with a broken AirDisk on our AEBS, and expecting us to replace them with a Time Capsule.

The time capsule looks like a good deal for the money to me. Wish the wireless performance was the same as the AEBS though...

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I forgot to mention that a big part of the attraction to the Time Capsule is for use with Time Machine.

If you want to use Time Machine to make network backups, I think your options are limited to backing up to another Mac on your network, or the Time Capsule. I don't think you can backup to other network storage devices, but I could be wrong.

8. y0jeremy macrumors newbie

Yes, you can just type -
    defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

in Terminal

I have a few Buffalo NAS' - http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/

have had NO problems accessing in any OS linux/win/mac

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Doesn't seem like a good idea to use an unsupported work around for a backup utility...

10. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Good luck restoring from that^^ I've read about nightmares regarding NAS's and time machine