iPhone 11 Pro Any improvement with signal strength?

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I have looked for this answer but have not found anything yet. Anyone have any results?

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I haven't noticed any improvement. When I had my xs max side by side with the max pro, the xs max had a stronger signal. I'm curious to see what others' experiences are though.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
My iPhone 11 is exactly the same as my iPhone 7+

Both intel modems

Having said that I’ve never had any issues with the intel modems before

gkn1999

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Same dead spots between XS and 11 Pro :-( No improvement that we can see in low-reception areas.

MrEcted

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
I went from an XS Max to an 11 Pro. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any improvements.

minicard

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
Oregon
How about Wi-Fi speed since the 11 Pro has Wi-fi 6? My Xs always logs in slower wi-fi speed compared to my iPad Mini 5 or 10.5 pro.

Waterman316

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
I have looked for this answer but have not found anything yet. Anyone have any results?
Kind of too early for me to tell. I got my phone yesterday but have only been to Walmart with it. Did pay much attention to it while I was there. For the rest of the time I’ve been at home sitting in my chair. I’m on restrictions currently that limit me from doing pretty much anything so I don’t get out of the house a lot lol. Always on WiFi as well. But I have noticed I’m usually on 2 bars of service (att) when my Xs max was almost always on one bar. Not that it means much. Guess I could turn WiFi off for a minute. Lol. Just did and ran a Speedtest. Better than my Xs max but not much. Haven’t had a problem with texting or phone calls but again I’m hooked up to WiFi calling
How about Wi-Fi speed since the 11 Pro has Wi-fi 6? My Xs always logs in slower wi-fi speed compared to my iPad Mini 5 or 10.5 pro.
Same speeds as I had on my Xs max. Should note I believe it does matter if the iPhone has WiFi 6 or not unless you have a router capable of WiFi 6 along with the service speeds.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
This anecdotal news doesn’t sound good.
You would think Apple would’ve learned their lesson from last year. I’m coming from a Qualcomm iPhone X. Haven’t dropped service in my apartment but data speeds are definitely slower.

Craaaaaap.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You would think Apple would’ve learned their lesson from last year. I’m coming from a Qualcomm iPhone X. Haven’t dropped service in my apartment but data speeds are definitely slower.

Craaaaaap.
I was looking for an improvement in this area. Like you, I am surprised things appear to be the same. I hope that isn’t the case next year with the smaller phone.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
No improvement here too..
So i returned it.... Will stick with android due to this.. i cant use a phone with unreliable LTE WIFI strength/signal...

Game drops... Call drops...
I love the new iphone darkmode... Other than that... I hate that they didnt address that modem issue since iphone X i had it....

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I was looking for an improvement in this area. Like you, I am surprised things appear to be the same. I hope that isn’t the case next year with the smaller phone.
Well Apple bought out Intel’s modem business so my guess is we’ll see a marginal difference. Maybe there will be others on here who will say they’ve noticed improvements.

The 11 Pro is just too good. I can’t return this one. This will help my photography hobby grow and turn it into a money maker.

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

sjperformance

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I have noticed some difference versus my previous device XS Max on AT&T. I’m noticing more constant LTE speeds. My kids school is a dead spot for me and yesterday with the Pro Max I didn’t lose reception and was on LTE aka 5Ge on AT&T all the time. I do noticed the WiFi connection is much much better. At work and home. The XS Max seemed slow at times on both WiFi. I have super high speeds at both locations. Many times I would just switch WiFi off on my phone and stay on LTE. Noticing on Pro Max it’s much much better. It’s handling these high WiFi speeds pretty good. Haven’t switched WiFi off with this phone.

Reactions: ram130

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I have noticed some difference versus my previous device XS Max on AT&T. I’m noticing more constant LTE speeds. My kids school is a dead spot for me and yesterday with the Pro Max I didn’t lose reception and was on LTE aka 5Ge on AT&T all the time. I do noticed the WiFi connection is much much better. At work and home. The XS Max seemed slow at times on both WiFi. I have super high speeds at both locations. Many times I would just switch WiFi off on my phone and stay on LTE. Noticing on Pro Max it’s much much better. It’s handling these high WiFi speeds pretty good. Haven’t switched WiFi off with this phone.
Hmmmmm. Weird. Maybe I just have a dud then because signal isn’t as good at work, which was an easy 4 bars at work. iPhone gets 3. Plus I can’t update to iOS 13.1. I have tried iTunes and OTA and neither works. iTunes act like it’s the wrong file so it does absolutely nothing. I have tried 4 times doing it OTA so I give up. I’m replacing it because of that, the yellow screen, the reception issue and I have now noticed the screen at times does not respond to touch. Ugh. I don’t have the box so they better not require me to fully return it cause I would have to drive an hour home and then an hour to the Apple store. Definitely not doing that. Currently using my X and everything works as it should. If the X had a better camera, even the one on the 11, I would keep the X and say **** it with the 11 Pro.

Not a great first impression with the 11 series.

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Apple still using Intel modems so it’s doubtful that you would see any improvement. Next year Apple will start using Qualcomm modems again which have always been faster

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Apple still using Intel modems so it’s doubtful that you would see any improvement. Next year Apple will start using Qualcomm modems again which have always been faster
But they also bought out Intel’s modem business. But they also have a contract with Qualcomm. This makes no sense.

ninethirty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2006
I noticed something strange, or at least it seems I have. When I bought the phone on Friday, I forgot my ID, so they couldn't activate the new SIM. Instead they just took my old SIM, put it in the new phone and said to go to Verizon whenever to activate the new SIM because it had access to better bands, etc.

Before I did that, I noticed that my new phone with the old SIM appeared really fast. Went to Verizon yesterday, activated the new SIM and since then I've noticed kind of ****** service.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I noticed something strange, or at least it seems I have. When I bought the phone on Friday, I forgot my ID, so they couldn't activate the new SIM. Instead they just took my old SIM, put it in the new phone and said to go to Verizon whenever to activate the new SIM because it had access to better bands, etc.

Before I did that, I noticed that my new phone with the old SIM appeared really fast. Went to Verizon yesterday, activated the new SIM and since then I've noticed kind of ****** service.
That IS strange. And whoever told you the new SIM has access to better bands doesn’t know what they’re talking about. SIM cards have nothing to do with that but to register the service and provide the signal from the tower to your phone to the phone.

This may not even help but did you reset network settings?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It is my understanding the only the SIM-Free model using a different chip (Qualcomm). Can anyone confirm? Also does the SIM-FREE model have 2 ESIMS?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
It is my understanding the only the SIM-Free model using a different chip (Qualcomm). Can anyone confirm? Also does the SIM-FREE model have 2 ESIMS?
No iPhone 11, 11 Pro or Pro Max uses a qualcomm modem, anywhere in the world. Apple has not used qualcomm since the X.

kirk.vino

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
11 Pro here and it seems better than my Qualcomm X so far. On the same NYC train ride yesterday it was fast to reconnect and showed a stable LTE connection and data speeds. In the same spots I’d usually have to manually turn off/back on the cellular toggle on my X in order to make it reconnect. So far I’m satisfied.