Any indication that bands will be compatible with future Watches?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by yegon, Mar 9, 2015.

1. yegon macrumors 68020

Or will Apple cut compatibility "for reasons of ergonomics" next March?

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Not all iPad cases/covers work on all iPads.

3. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

That's due to the iPad getting skinner though. Apple could still change the watch up a little but keep the band mechanic the same.

4. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Just curious.

I'm going cheap this round, want to fiddle with one for fun but am mindful of it being a 12 month extravagance. If it was a mature product, I'd be all over the steel/sapphire with black link strap.

5. PRSGuitarist macrumors member

I don't think this is necessarily an apt comparison. iPad cases have to contour around every bit of the device, and the bands just have to connect to the watch. Unless they change how the connector actually connects, I don't think forward compatibility would be unreasonable.

Also, forward compatibility would at least make the prices on some of the bands a lot easier to stomach.

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

But the precedent is that Apple does not care if accessories carry over. They are apt to change when needed.

7. jsharpe macrumors newbie

+1 Had originally liked the ss+link but even factoring in a decent resale value I think I might take your approach for v1 and then spring for the nicer version when the next version that's thinner with longer battery life shows up.

8. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

When Apple is making you pay more for the accessory than the actual watch I don't think they will just come out and say you have to buy everything all over again year after year.

They may be greedy but not that greedy.

9. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Surprised there isn't more discussion about this. I could just about justify getting the link bracelet if I knew for definite I could use it with Watch v2. It's the only band I like, but the thought of spending that for a one year purchase* makes me shudder.

*Yeah yeah, I could use it for longer, but I'm kidding myself if I claim I won't buy the v2.

10. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering the same thing, and I posted in another thread that this is the reason I don't buy iPad and iPhone accessories that are dependent on the device's form factor. The exception is cases, but those are a lot cheaper than wristbands.

11. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I totally agree.

12. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

I've been wondering this since release, and it only makes sense they would do that for the 2nd generation Watch. I doubt internals could be upgraded because part of the design is the form factor and overall capabilities of the watch, which couldn't be updated with just internals. The bands however, are likely not subject to the change. I'd expect v2 to have more band options, an option to buy with a new band and an option to buy without a band. The most expensive Apple accessory has made recently that has only worked for one generation was the iPad Air Smart Case for $79. That is no where near the $449 for the link braclet. Most apple accessories seem to be compatible with multiple devices and the Apple Watch would give them even more reason to do so

13. Sharkey311 Suspended

It'd be wise to go cheap this iteration and go all out next update or update after that.

14. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Someone here did the math a while ago...
    Basically, the band will work on the Watch until it gets like over 75% thinner.
    I'd expect a change then. (4-6 years?)

15. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

You really expect Apple to talk about version 2 the same day they announced when v1 would go on sale? Who would buy v1 if they knew v2 was right around the corner. And since Apple is treating this as a watch and traditional watchez aren't re-designed frequently my guess is Watch won't be redesigned every year. This isn't an iPhone or iPad that get thinner and lighter every year.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wouldn't expect drastic changes on form factor. I only expect these devices to get thinner, not change the face size. If at some point the watch itself gets so thin that it requires a new, smaller connection point to make the device smaller -- think the limitations of the iPod dock connector -- then I would assume that could happen. But at the high end, we're talking $7,000 for bands.

I don't think this product is going to be quite as "disposable" as iPads, iPhones or computers. I mean when the news came out about the battery being replaceable, I thought "duh." Who would buy a $10,000 watch that would be useless in maybe 4 or 5 years because the battery physically couldn't be replaced? For the same reason, I expect in the future for the watch itself to be sold sans strap for people who maybe own a few straps but want the newest, latest watch. But I thought they would come separately this time to reduce the number of boxes with $350+ devices sitting on the shelf, so what do I know?