Any info on when turn by turn is coming?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goblue123, Feb 3, 2009.

1. goblue123 macrumors newbie

Remember multiple rumors about turn by turn coming in 2008 - but haven't heard anything recently. Have a need for this soon - wondering to wait or just buy a Garmin.

Just find it silly to buy another device when I already have a touchscreen, GPS reciever and bluetooth transmitter and 16 Gb drive packaged into a device with everything I'd need.

Thank you for any info!

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

There has been no news on this since june 08. It is not in the works.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Buy a TomTom. Way better than Garmin. Aside from my iPhone it's the gadget I use the most. It's saved me countless times.

And I can't see turn-by-turn on the iPhone being anything but inconvenient. Especially if you receive or need to make a call on your route. Also, I can't imagine the program will be anywhere near cheap if it even is released.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Why? Unless OS 3.0 rolls out before WWDC, i'd imagine you'll have to wait till then. There are related GPS companies awaiting Apple to make a move on this decision. It might be likely that they'll be sorting it out before opening the flood gates.

yes, they could be expensive. (and I wonder what the effect of crackulous is/would be).
    But the convergence saving is probably decent. One less charger, one less device.

5. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

a standalone GPS is much better, GPS signal is much more widespread than 3G/Edge.

6. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

The iPhone gets GPS, like standalone units. The difference is that the iPhone gets the data for the maps from 3g/Edge, whereas standalone units store the maps on built in memory.

They are both eqully good at getting a GPS signal (in fact the iPhone may be better as it has A-GPS- uses cell towers to aid in triangulation). But the standalone units will still function in areas with no 3G, Edge, whereas the iPhone won't.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The effect would be that they'd be far less likely to sell such an app.

TomTom has said that they're pulling back from PDA versions, mostly because of the piracy problem. I forget the exact numbers but private sales dropped from being about 20% of their business to less than 10%. Something like that, or worse.

They are, however, quite willing to sell directly to carriers or phone makers. Some WinMo phones come with it from the carrier, for example.

8. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

It pretty much has it, you just gotta read it.

9. goblue123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a Verizon phone that had GPS and talking turn by turn before. Worked great. Even spoke the street names on a little Samsung flip with a mini querty keyboard. Never wanted a Garmin when I had that. I bought the 3G on the expectation that it was coming. Shame on me for buying the hype.

Having had the verizon turn by turn, the current apple version is frankly unsafe. I try not to use it in the car because I can tell its affecting how much attention I'm paying to the road. I let my passenger run it. Never had to do that with turn by turn.

Piracy shouldn't matter with the app store - and they could do it either way. Subscription vs just paying the $100 on the app store and downloading it. I can spare the Gb or 2 for this - they could make it less by having you load only what you need from the desktop / laptop.

This smacks of an AT&T vs Apple turfwar. AT&T wants their 10 bucks a month, Apple wants app store cut and we get the shaft.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I was holding my breath on this one for a while too.

But I have decided 2 things 1) not happening 2) don't want it

the iphone can't/shouldn't be used as a primary gps unit. The stand alones would work much better. There gets to be a point where you don't want your device to do it all! ESPECIALLY on the current iphone

Reasons:
    What if you receive a phone call?
    What about text messages?
    The speakers suck, you wouldn't be able to hear it.
    The screen is too small
    KILLS the battery to have it running

Now will these issues be fixed with the next iphone? Possibly. Loud speakers, multitasking, fix the charging battery with gps running issue... Sure the screen size won't change, but if Apple really wants to be able to make this thing work well as a GPS unit it could do a decent job.

But with the current hardware configs.... It would be extremely problematic. Apple fears a PR nightmare from it

11. Dre325 macrumors newbie

I agree that this has got to be a battle between AT&T who wants their $10/month fee and Apple who wants the cut from the App Store.

Seriously though, I would never pay AT&T $10 per month for the ability to run a piece of software on my phone. I always thought their AT&T Navigator plans were ridiculous...

12. goblue123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I paid 10 bucks a month to Verizon - and was very happy with the service I got in return. Granted, Garmins that talked were $500+ back then.

I'd prefer to buy it from the app store, but would pay AT&T somewhere between 5-10 / month.

Battery life? Plug it in, used to do that anyway. Screen size? I used a screen 1/4 of the size before and it worked great. That's why talking is so key. I don't want to look at the screen - thats unsafe.

I want a convergence device because Garmins get stolen and that's just one more thing to forget to deal with and then I've got a broken window to deal with. One more cord to unplug, mount to hide. Not worth it.

I seriously wonder if Garmin/Magellan are kicking money to Jobs. I know that sounds conspiracy esque, but why could my last phone from 2005 do this perfectly and it wasn't even a smartphone but the iphone can't? Doesn't make sense and that usually means someone is blocking it for personal gain.

13. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I have this feeling if they are going to do it they will hook up with TomTom or some other well known GPS company to bring it to the iPhone as a native app.

And it would probably have to work somehow with google maps or some other online map service because of the sheer size of storing all that info on the iPhone.

14. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

This was taken from the TiPb website

Simply put, if you want real GPS, get a GPS-specific device.....get a TomTom or a Garmin, etc. If you want a real camera, get a camera-specific device...get a Canon or Nikon, etc.

These are only conveniences on our iPhones and were not meant to replace said devices. If this were not true then why don't we just all throw away all of our knives, tools, scissors, etc...and just get a nice swiss army pocket knife.

[​IMG]

Just don't forget your toothpick app^^

15. deadsouls macrumors regular

umm or if you want real gps, get another smartphone that actually has smartphone capabilities and not an iphone?

16. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Alright, then delete your screen name from the iPhone forum tonight.