Any info on Xoom current sales? Esp vs iPad2 day 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biosci, Mar 12, 2011.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

It seems like iPad2 had a hit 1st day (Unfortunately, with sell outs, looks like they'll have zero for the rest of the weekend... Unless they were hiding some in back for Saturday/Sunday)

Either way, I was thinking that with all the hype that the Xoom is Apple's big competitor blah blah, how is their sales going from release (When was that even?!) until now?

I haven't even really heard about the Xoom since superbowl Sunday and didn't hear anything about a huge release. But when iPad 2 was announce, all of a sudden people were talking about testing them out at BestBuy etc etc.

With yesterday's huge turnouts at BB, ATT/VZ, and Apple Stores, it seems like maybe Apple has already beaten the Xoom in terms of sale on Day 1 alone. But who knows.

I didn't get my iPad2 yesterday. After work, I had to go to a Grad class as I do now again once I hit submit here... I'll call apple stores after and see again I guess.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Recent estimates are at are 300K for the Xoom since launch.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I find it amusing to read about iPad sales comparisons (a market they are obviously dominant in) but when it comes to browsers, laptops, PCs, and even phones, the not-so-dominant sales figures don't seem to be a problem. ;)

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

There are no estimates of any worth out there at this time, but I know that analysts are speculating that sales have been anemic. Writing is on the wall and soon, the Xoom will be on the clearance isle, half off. Sitting right next to the 7" Galaxy Tab and Dell Streaks. Next contender: RIM Playbook.

Only thing I would speculate is that Apple probably sold 2 to 3 times more in one day than Xoom has since launch.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Phones? The Apple iPhone is the number one selling phone. Why would you say they aren't dominant in phone sales? The mobile OS may not be on every POS, plastic free phone thrown out to every 3rd world country, like Android, but it is still one of the dominant OS'es.

Browsers: Chrome is no better than Safari. And Firefox is better than both.

6. No1up macrumors regular

zboater!! No! Nnnooo!! Bad boy! You go peepee outside!!

7. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

From BGR

8. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

So, give us some figures...

Here let me help you, I'll start with smart phone market share.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/who-is-winning-the-u-s-smartphone-battle/

HTC 12% , Motorola 10%, Samsung 5%, other 2% (these are the Androids)
    RIM Blackberry 27% (Looks like they kicked the Android manufacture asses)
    Apple 27% (Over twice as many as HTC, almost three times the sales as Motorola, Samsung wins because they make parts for Apple)
    Do we really need to discuss WM ?

Computers ? You do realize that they have sold over a million MBAs right ?

Please take the fandroid statements somewhere else. Thank you.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ok, start here

http://www.comscore.com/Press_Event...uary_2011_U.S._Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share

And step away from the ledge. Are you telling me one million MBAs make apple the marketshare leader in the laptop market?

There were 345 million PCs shipped last year.

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/reviews/article.php/3927996/Fourth-Quarter-PC-Sales-Hit-New-Record

Apple, my friend, is in FIFTH place.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/13/apple-boosts-market-share-in-slumping-u-s-pc-market/

Which goes to show that how many you sell doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how good you are.

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Funny, Comscore used data from a survey of 30,000 users, not actual sales numbers. Read the first paragraph. Then post something using actual sales numbers.

Apple has sold over a million MBAs. I don't know how you got everything else you did from that, but fifth place out of how many manufactures isn't too shabby is it ?

11. ZBoater, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

12. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Thank you, that is the same chart I posted a link to, and it verifies the facts I stated previously. HTC 12%... Apple 27%

I didn't call you a Fandroid, I said please take the fandroid statements elsewhere.

Edit: But isn't hardware manufacture data all that matters ? What would you rather have 27% share or 12% ? HTC doesn't make money because Motorola has a 10% share.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I know you focused on the hardware manufacturers, but since no one else makes apple hardware that comparison is not very useful. The point I was trying to make, and interestingly enough with that same data, is that iOS was a Juggernaut poised to dethrone Blackberry as the dominant smartphone platform. Them came along Google and upended the race to the point Android based smartphones outsold both Apple and RIM. And how long ago did Google launch its first phone?

I don't think it will take 5 years for them to catch up on the tablet space. I could be wrong of course. My Xoom shipped without the flux capacitor upgrade so I am stuck in 2011 and can see the future.... :p

14. No1up macrumors regular

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, I know. Its that fandroid in me.... :p

16. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You need to check your facts because you embarrassed yourself by being so wrong.

BTW Google cites all android sales including the millions sold in china which are a fork of Android with no Google services. Google receives no revenue from those devices or many of the other devices they cite in their numbers. Numbers mean nothing compared to revenue. Android hasn't even been good for the carriers which is why Verizon has bent over backwards and begged Apple to be allowed to carry the iPhone.

Apple also takes in the lions share of PC revenues.

Oh and btw you know what the standard laptop is at google? Macs.

17. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Honestly the distribution method for the tablet market is so different I see a hard time for Android to gain any momentum unless they can really undercut Apple on price (while maintaining quality).

The comparison to the smartphone market is way off because the real prices are hidden behind subsidies, something the tablet market doesn't benefit from.

18. ZBoater, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Funny. I thought I did and I linked to them too. The PC rankings incidentally were published right here in Macrumors. The phone rankings was a matter of hardware manufacturer vs. os.
    They are not MY facts. They are just THE facts. Android is outselling iOS on the smartphone front, and Apple is ranked 5th in PC sales.

Care to educate me where I am wrong? If I am wrong, I'd like to learn.

19. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That is a very good point. A driving factor of Androids rise is free and cheap phones.

21. samwise macrumors regular

Which do you want to compare - in your original post you said phones, now you're comparing smartphone operating systems?

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

According to Google, its a fast cheap way to send money. :eek: I swear. I just Googled it and this was the first result!

http://www.xoom.com/

23. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

When it's all said and done, both Android and IOS devices are doing very well, with Android currently in the lead in terms of sales. I've been, and still am a big Android fan, especially because if their customization options/ability. But besides that, "Force Close, random reboots, and other glitches" is what truly separates Android from IOS, thats why I will never buy another Android device....until those issues are fully resolved. I've seen 2 Xooms, that forced closed on me, and one that did a random reboot. This became too much for me to deal with on Android phones, but on a $800 tablet, that's just friggin ridiculous.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I want to compare whichever one makes my argument look better.... :rolleyes:

25. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Funny you should mention China. Now that there is a CDMA iPhone, I wonder if Apple will go after that market ? (not just Hong Kong, the rest of the country.)

I also wonder what is going to happen when iPhone 5 becomes available on Verizon. The acticle that tried to shoot down the Verizon iPhone rollout also stated that Verizon said that 30% of the new iPhone purchasers were Android users.