Any instant messenger program that supports the webcam (besides iChat)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I use MSN (windows live) messenger. Going to switch to Mac soon for college, so I wanted to know if there was any MSN- capable IM program for OSX that supports the webcam of the MacBook.

I heard Adium is a good IM app, but does not support the webcam. Not sure about windows live messenger either.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Apparently there's a new version of MSN MESSenger coming in the late spring that is supposed to be cross platform and add support for Mac webcams.

But for now, you can use iChat with either .Mac or Aim accounts. And I think that's it.

Cheers.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I use Yahoo with my iSight, and have never had any problems.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

aMSN has webcam support with varying results, and there's a plugin for Adium called MeBeam which works in a web browser. However, I don't recommend that if you're using a MacBook since it sends the fans *really* loud. :rolleyes: Works pretty well otherwise, though.

Skype is a good alternative for webcams too if you can convince your buddies to use it.

5. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

6. f1 macrumors 6502

I usually get tell people who don't have an AIM account to get Skype.

7. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Heh, that's the problem though.

I'm going to Japan in the next 2 months, and I have an exchange student over in Japan who has a webcam. It would be nice to use it while having a Mac, hopefully getting one in that time, when supposedly new mac laptops are expected.

I would be using it for purposes to talk from across the planet. MSN is the only IM service my exchange student uses and a very, very large majority of my friends use. It would be a pain to have to tell them ALL to switch.

Any ideas on that rumored release of a new MSN Messenger for Mac with the webcam support?

8. LaDirection macrumors 6502

No one knows. In the meantime, do use aMSN, it works fine and has all the features of MSN windows (or most of them anyways).

http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/aMSN.shtml

9. Joanna.Kiyoné macrumors newbie

Or you could use MSN through VMWare or Parallels (if you don't mind installing Windows).

I've found Mercury to be the slowest thing in the world (not to mention ugly), and aMSN webcam never worked for me (No matter what forwarded port I set it to, it never worked!) but I seem to be the only one who ever had that issue.

10. TheVandit macrumors member

TheVandit

Yeah its not very pretty! i use normal MS one most of the time

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

MS are apparently trying to get a video-compatible MSN out this year.

12. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

The latest version of Yahoo messenger does WebCam and now also chatrooms [which it didn''t do before]

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I'd say skype. Lots of people are getting it now days and it's really actually quite simple to use

14. hakuin macrumors regular

15. unixperience macrumors regular

skype has some kind of memory problem with macs WHEN VIDEOCHATTING other wise its fine (text or just audio)

next time you do a videochat open activity monitor you will see skype uses 70% + processor and if you have a temperature monitoring system... or the laptop on your lap, you will see the temp jumps up quite quickly (mine jumps to about 75-80* C i've read users report almost 94*C!!!!)

another program is pidgin (it's usually installed on most linux distributions) it's not super beautiful, but works just fine.