Any instant messenging app that uses SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gigamaster89, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

2. superxero3 macrumors regular

i'm not sure if i fully understand the question. you want an Instant Messenger service that can use your SMS count as opposed to the typical usage of data?

If so, you can sign up for a free AIM account (aol.com) if you don't have one already and configure it to forward the messages to your phone as an SMS when you are offline. I have this with my iPhone... i get a text to my phone from the persons screen name and i can reply to it. however i just sign on to AIM and reply that way because i have unlimited data, but you don't have to. This should work for you.

Also, why don't you have unlimited data? are you on T-mobile?

3. Gigamaster89 thread starter macrumors member

I am on TMobile actually, no idea how you arrived to that conclusion but yeah...

On non-wifi/data phones, messengers usually use SMS instead of Data.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Set up your Phone Number in your AIM Settings. It'll text it to your phone as an IM, and you reply to that, and it'll send it to the AIM screen name of that person.

5. markgamber macrumors 6502

What that last post said. T-Mobile (last time I checked and like most carriers) has a mechanism where certain SMS destinations correlate to various AIM functions. 1001 might be login, for example, 1002 logoff and so on. Users on your list also have various numbers assigned to them which you can get by polling with another number. It's been a while since I used T-Mobile and have no idea what the actual numbers are offhand but it should be easy enough to find with google. Since only AT&T sells iPhones and they dictate that if you have an iPhone you have data, there will probably never be an app that uses SMS for IMs, even as a backup for when there's no data. The threaded SMS app is probably a big help, tho. Last time I had to use that function was like 8 years ago and it was a pain. Windows Mobile phones have available a couple of apps like that and they're very useful when you have no data or it's prohibitively expensive, like when overseas roaming.

6. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Why not just get tmo's cheap data plan?

Why don't you sign up for the $5.99 tzones edge data plan? Then you just have to enable the proxy by downloading the "tzones hack" from Cydia. It's pretty fast too (for edge).

It's well worth it. Especially since the iPhone is supposed to be a internet oriented device. Think of the possibilities:
    Chat, Shazam, Safari, Email, Maps, Weather, iTunes, last.fm...