Any interest in an "iPad Air"?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Do you think Apple would be wise to persue the iPad in two directions? A "pro" version of sorts which would be the continuation of the current iPad line. This would always be adding more storage, more RAM, NFC, better camerras, and all the bells and wistles...

Then add an iPad Air. This would minimize the weight and thickness of the device as possible. Maybe even completely get rid of the bezel. The only power spec to focus on being battery life. The goal here would be to approach the thickness of a sheet of paper (but more realistically it would be 10 sheets of paper). The purpose of this would be to rid all paper from your life. Imagine something about 0.1 pounds that hold digital files to thousands of papers, books, and photos.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No. That's like asking for an iPod nano nano.

3. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Actually no. Then people would get confused wether to buy the pro or the air. Because there are omly minor differences

4. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Everything you've stated Apple wants to accomplish with one device.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So you expect a device that is the size of the iPad will eventually weigh 1.6 ounces (.1 pound)? And focus on battery life? Good one!:D

6. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

An iPad without the bezel is inoperable.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

OP must not own an iPad. Holding the screen and trying to scroll doesn't work so great.

8. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Apple fans wont support the idea of splitting the iPad line... until Apple does it and then they'll all say how brilliant it is.

For me then I wish the current pricing should've been the difference between "Pro" and "Base" because when comparing the specs/price between the base/top model then there's a $329 markup and the only thing you get is 48GB storage + 3G. They even have used the last gen housing (which is still a pretty classy design with enough thickness to implement "Pro" things like the iPhone 4 AF Camera, SD, Thunderport etc)

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I could see Apple going for an iPad pro in a couple of generations when it i more viable as a standalone machine.

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Haha, I know it'd be tough, and I'm not saying this would happen tomorrow, but a couple years out. The device would basically just be one thin battery.

Well in it's current state sure. But I'm sure there is lots of outside the box type thinking that can correct these issues.

11. theone09 macrumors regular

I thought the current ipad is an iPad Air!!?? :D

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Very true. I remember when Apple first unveiled the iPad many on here screamed in horror because of the boated bezel. Everyone wanted something much thinner, but it's not until you use one that that its thickness makes perfect sense. But an iPad the thickness of ten sheets of paper DOES sound very nice indeed. I'm sure it'll come eventually.

13. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Not really. When you have a huge screen on a mobile device, you need something to grab onto...like a nice, big bezel.

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I have complete faith in apple to be able to design the iPad. But to achieve what you want the iPad to have i.e no bezel, apple would have to redesign the human hand. Keep away from our hands apple.

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Well that thinking is associated with the iPad in it's current size. If it is the thickness and weight of 10 sheets of paper, maybe it is possible. It could be held from behind as you might hold a clipboard, or laid flat on a table.

Maybe any touch input that is held contant (as opposed to a touch and release or a swipe) won't be activated. or any touch that is connected to the edge of the screen won't be recognized. or you could assign certain areas of the screen to be "hold zones" that isn't touch activated. Or maybe it will have a screen bezel that isn't touch sensitive at all.

I'm sure there are lots more ways if you open your thinking

16. alan111 macrumors regular

Not a smart suggestion.
    I think if anything, Apple should make an iPad Mini. Like a 7" or 8" version. Although smaller, it may suit some other users better, but may be more difficult to type on.

17. Krandor macrumors 6502

There are already 18 different iPad models. I think that is plenty.

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

19. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

A Macbook Air with touchscreen, iPad App support and a case that can swivel fully to hide behind the screen (like a tablet PC) would be so freaking awesome!

20. bigmikeyp macrumors regular

bigmikeyp

I've not yet been able to get my hands on an iPad 2, but from what I've seen and read, do you not think that going any thinner would actually start turning into a bad thing? Surely, ergonomically, it would start to hit that point that it becomes too thin?

Don't forget this new breed of tablet computer (forget the very original tablets from 10 years ago) is still in its infancy and nowhere near meeting its full potential; there's plenty of time for further innovation. But in terms of practical usage, a bezel of some kind must stay. I personally think improvements will be made primarily in storage capacity, battery performance and iOS enhancements before we start to see any kind of drastic design alterations.

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'd call the iPad we have now the 'iPad Air'. It's already as thin as possible while maintaining battery life and has the minimum of physical features. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's much closer in design philosophy to the Macbook Air than to any other of their devices.

22. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Exactly! It would only spawn a thousand more "Confused - which iPad should I buy" threads.

23. whyhellojoe macrumors member

it'll be so thin, when you turn it off, you'll see right through it and sometimes, it just dissapears into thin air.. magical.. just like ponies with that funny thing on their forehead.. warts

i think it'll break really easily though

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How would you hold it?

25. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Before I actually used the iPad, I thought that removing the bezel would make it much more attractive, but now that I own it I know why it's there and probably wouldn't want to use one without a bezel.