Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I am getting one and we have two ipads in our household. I have never seen anything come close to the ipad but this is not an ipad. The nexus 7 is something different and I would like to try it. I am going to use mine in my car as my new radio/gps.

I never was for a 7" device but as a car radio/gps it will be the perfect size. I just have to work on getting the device to work in landscape view. The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

Alcibar

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
Seems like the main purpose of the 7 in form factor is for use outside the home. I don't get the desire for a more portable tablet that does not have a cellular data plan. Why sit around home with a Nexus 7 when you could be using a iPad. Certainly the iPad is not too big when you see tons of preschoolers using them.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
I am getting one and we have two ipads in our household. I have never seen anything come close to the ipad but this is not an ipad. The nexus 7 is something different and I would like to try it. I am going to use mine in my car as my new radio/gps.

I never was for a 7" device but as a car radio/gps it will be the perfect size. I just have to work on getting the device to work in landscape view. The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

You plan on tethering it to something for data? Also I think it's aGPS so it may not be too accurate without data to assist the built-in gps.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

How will you have WiFi in the car?

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
My two year old daughter really wants an iPad. She asks me every week to make sure she is going to get one for her birthday. She has sat me down and shown me which apps she wants on it.

I'm really hoping the 7" model will be out by early October to fit her little hands.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
My two year old daughter really wants an iPad. She asks me every week to make sure she is going to get one for her birthday. She has sat me down and shown me which apps she wants on it.

I'm really hoping the 7" model will be out by early October to fit her little hands.

Get her the nexus 7. Most of the apps are probably on it as well, and the good thing is a lot of them are free on android. Th nexus 7 is getting rave reviews and Jellybean is an amazing OS.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Yes since I have a wifi only iPad and all I really seem to do on the iPad is read books and browse the web and stream videos from my network. I can do this with an 8GB Nexus 7 and save some money on the side. I do love the iPad though as it can do a lot more, but 80% of my usage the Nexus 7 sounds like it can do as well. I guess the main consideration is the screen size.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
i read through this looking for the feature of 7" tablets that i was missing--it just seems so phone'ish. cest la vie.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Having two tablets for a single person is ridiculous; unless your job involves showing stuff to people on them.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

My cousin's 3 year old son loves his iPad, and he's constantly surprising his mom by figuring out how to do things on it himself. He can FaceTime with his Grandma, and carries around the iPad so he can show her stuff. He doesn't always quite point the camera at what he's trying to show, leading to some hilarious results, but the point is, the current iPad is by no means too big for little kids. If you can afford it, do consider a full size iPad for your daughter, a bigger screen makes for a more engaging experience.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Since Apple is so afraid of Samsung, I'm thinking this may cause Apple to do two things.

1) Seek to ban it's sales.

2) Bring a 7" iPad to market before the holidays.

These days Apple is beginning to get predictable.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
Since Apple is so afraid of Samsung, I'm thinking this may cause Apple to do two things.

1) Seek to ban it's sales.

2) Bring a 7" iPad to market before the holidays.

These days Apple is beginning to get predictable.

Just an FYI - these are made by Asus and not Samsung.

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
I found some things about the Nexus 7 interesting. But 7", it's too small of a screen for me. I'm perfectly comfortable with the iPad screen size, and I think it works great.

Also, as someone somewhere said, I've had Apple iOS devices for a long time now, I just don't see the point of buying a lot of the apps for a second type of device. This being the best (and I guess also worst part?) thing about having sharing capabilities between multiple devices.

I wouldn't mind trying out a Nexus 7. But for everyday use, I love my iPad, and I prefer Apple products.

But hey that's just me. =)

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

Yes it does rotate to landscape.

attachment.php

Having two tablets for a single person is ridiculous; unless your job involves showing stuff to people on them.

What sort of a job is that....I want that job lol! :)

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I have an iPad 3 and I love it. My sisters have a Kindle Fire. I rooted it and flashed ICS CM9 on it for fun and they love it. I would never use an Android device as my main device but I love tinkering with gadgets. The Kindle Fire was a piece of crap on the stock OS. It was so laggy and locked down (which is stupid since it's an Android device) that it was complete garbage. They thanked me so much for doing what I did.

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I own an iPad and would love to get a Nexus tablet. Mainly to check out the latest Android release but to also to travel with. It's the same idea as when I bought a used netbook when I already had an iMac: I wanted to check out every new Ubuntu version on a dedicated device (i.e. not in VirtualBox).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.