Any ipcam viewer apps?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by jimmyjoy, May 8, 2015.

1. jimmyjoy macrumors member

I got notifications on my watch when motion is detected on my home ip-cam. I would love to be able to view the recordings via an app. I remember seeing the garage door app on the keynote but don't think anything like this is available yet. Anybody know?

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

SKJM's iCam recently got updated to include an Apple Watch app. I bought the iCam Pro version and the developer said he'll be making an update for that version shortly.

http://skjm.com/icam/

3. jimmyjoy thread starter macrumors member

Ok that looks promising. I currently use a synology server at home to handle to motion detection and recordings so I'll see if anything happens with that first but always good to have a backup. Cheers.

4. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

The watch doesn't support video for regular developers presently, so it'll be interesting to see how this becomes available. The garage demo for the keynote (alarm.com is the one you are thinking of?) was a mockup, and even alarm.com has said that isn't available yet. Silly, huh?

5. simonx314 macrumors regular

Cloud Baby Monitor streams video to the Apple Watch, but its only about 1 or 2 frames a second so more like rapidly-updated-stills rather than video. Also the iPhone app has to be running to serve the frames to the Watch.

6. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Does it work ok? I wondered if someone would try that.

How do they handle getting the app to run, do they tell you to put it in the foreground so the frames will send?

7. simonx314 macrumors regular

Yes I've used it. It's neat because it's video on your Watch, but objectively it is very low quality and no audio, although the their is an audio meter above the video so you can see if the baby is making noise, just like on a regular baby monitor.

If you open the Watch app first, it will tell you you need to open the Cloud Baby Monitor app on your iPhone first. So you open that app, select which camera, and it starts the stream on the iPhone screen, now available to the Apple Watch. If you press the home button on the iPhone, the baby monitor audio continues to play from the iPhone, and the iPhone status bar turns red to indicate the app is running in the background. The Apple Watch can view the video stream while the iPhone app is either foreground or background. The app works very well.

8. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the description, sounds like it works pretty well. :)