Any iPhone 4 owners feel a change in accelerometer-based games?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by red9, Jun 29, 2010.

1. red9 macrumors member

So I'm a big Doodle Jump fan and played it quite a bit on my 3GS, but as soon as I played it on my iPhone 4 I noticed a change in how the acceleromter/tilt controls feel and just wanted to ask if anyone else who has played the game on both iPhones has noticed the same thing?

It's hard to describe, but it feels almost a bit sluggish/heavier/harder to change direction precisely compared to the 3GS. It's not 'laggy', and it's not a massive night and day difference, but it's just different enough to be noticeable and IMO annoying.

So if you have Doodle Jump or any other game based on tilt controls (Mega Jump, etc etc etc) if you could please (if you can) play it on a 3GS and then the iPhone 4 to see if there is any difference in 'feel' at all, I'd appreciate it.

I'm trying to determine if perhaps something is wonky/wrong with my accelerometer or if there is was a change in sensitivity/settings to the iPhone 4 accelerometer that the developers of the apps just have not been able to get around to adjusting to yet. I haven't noticed anything else that would indicate a faulty accelerometer, so I'm hoping it's just a change Apple made that can be worked around by the game developers. One thing that might be interesting to note: I did not play Doodle Jump post-iOS4's release, so if anyone recalls what it felt like in the prior OS also and notices a change that would be helpful to know also in case it was an API change somehow. Thanks!

2. Subliminal28 macrumors newbie

Weird, cause I was thinking the EXACT same thing when I played Doodle Jump... it seems a bit heavier if you know what I mean, like it takes more to turn the guy... you'd think it would be more sensitive... they just need to update that app so it uses the three-axis gyro, man the shooting range app with the three-axis gyro is insane at preciseness.

3. red9 thread starter macrumors member

Ok phew, glad I'm not alone then. Anyone else notice, just so we can make sure it's not a hardware problem necessarily?