Any iPhone 4 owners-to-be second-guessing their previous iPad purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeyondtheTech, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

We all knew that a new generation of iPhone was coming out, but perhaps my shortsightedness didn't expect it to be as good as it is, with the A4 chip, FaceTime, and most importantly, the Retina Display.

As a current owner of an iPad (my wife) and an iPad+3G, the thought has crossed my mind more than once lately on whether or not I just should have passed over the iPad and just gotten the iPhone 4.

His statement, "78% of the pixels of an iPad," was icing on the cake for me, especially because I was a bit bummed about the lack of a camera on the iPad. Knowing our luck, it will be on the second-generation iPad with an A5 processor and 512MB of RAM, which could come out as early as this September.

I know they're supposed to be in two separate categories of use, as he pointed out, but ever since I sold my iPhone 3GS for the iPad+3G, I've been using my iPad+3G like a supersized iPhone, such that the iPhone 4 may turn my iPad+3G into overkill (does that make sense?)

So, I'm posing the question to iPad owners, current and future: Does that iPhone 4 change your opinion on whether or not you are going to buy or keep your iPad?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

No x 2.

(Maybe add a poll)

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, I use the iPad more as a Mac supplement than an iPhone replacement. I doubt that we'll see a new iPad until next year because of the slow international roll out and shortages of this model. January at the earliest.

4. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Both purchases are justified and will continue to be used.

5. hannahjayne macrumors regular

My iPad has replaced my MacBook rather than my iPhone so it hasn't made me question why I need both an iPad and an iPhone 4. In fact, it's made everything a bit easier - no quandaries about what size to get, as the iPad is big enough to hold everything I'd need for the longest journey. No worries about the white iPhone 4 and video - why woukd I watch video on my iPhone when my iPad fits in every handbag I own? They work seamlessly together, and both have their own place in my little life. Wouldn't give either up.

6. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I don't think it affects my decision at all. They are devices that compliment each other very well.

Having said that, I do feel the iPhone is superior to the ipad in many ways now, and I'm ready for ipad 2

7. bniu macrumors 6502a

No. iPad's bigger physical screen does things an iPhone screen just can't do. My eyes aren't that good, I don't want to squint reading a PDF.

iPad's a great pdf reader and a really nice Personal Entertainment Device (perfect for on a plane). More complex stuff, a 13" macbook pro works great. Even bigger screen, apple's 24" LED Cinema Display is the answer (yes, a bit overpriced but i want it)

8. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Nope

I use my iPad ALL the time....I'm sure ill keep using it when i get the iPhone 4.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

10. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

No. The iPhone 4 might have 78% of the iPad pixels, but it won't have the screen area.

It will remain a phone and nothing more. The iPad has the potential to become a whole new thing :)

11. drober30 macrumors 6502a

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

hey i just bought new pants. should i really buy new boxers?

13. mysticbluebmw macrumors regular

For ME, sort of. But I was already on the fence after buying it. I bought a nice bag that seemed almost made for the iPad by Briggs & Riley that also kept my iphone, wallet, and keys, but was still a small bag. I think it was called the mini brief. Anyway, as convenient as that made it to take on the go, it was still far less than just taking the iphone. Again, for ME, I seemed to mostly use it at bedtime during the news, or in the bathroom. Nearly $800 for that wasn't sitting right with me. It's on ebay now...Again, that's just ME.

14. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I totally, absolutely, positively ADORE my iPad and there is no way that I would ever regret that purchase. As for the new iPhone....yes, I will admit that since I have the 3GS which is working just fine, I had briefly entertained the notion of not getting the iPhone 4 since I am using the iPad for a lot of the same stuff I had previously used my iPhone to do. I had thought, well, maybe I'd just wait until my current iPhone contract had expired in November and then see about it.... Apple and AT&T apparently anticipated that thought process (I'm sure I'm not the only iPad owner who was thinking this way!) and so threw us a curve ball when they announced that all of us whose contracts expire in 2010 would be eligible RIGHT NOW to buy the new iPhone 4 at the fully-subsidized rate. Hm..... An offer too good to pass up? You bet! :)

I will be getting an iPhone 4 on Launch Day. I'll be playing on my iPad while waiting in the line....

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Are we now limited to one Apple product per household? iPad + iPhone is no more overkill than a 50pc socket set.

16. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

No regrets. My law offices are fully Mac run and synced through mobile me and synced with two iPhones. Not having to lug around a uMBP for research and light word-processing while having the connectivity of the iPhone is fantastic. There is so much more you can do with iOS designed for the iPad screen. Great media device and...the best bathroom device ever made.

17. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Not one bit. Two different animals entirely for me. Serve two different purposes. My iPad is now my go to device. Macbook is collecting dust. ;)

18. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

No, browsing, reading, watching movies is soo much betterbon the iPad....

19. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I guess i'll be the first one to say yes.

To me i thought the iPad seemed really awesome when it first came out but it seems like the excitement has really died down about the iPad. Maybe that's just me, or maybe it's just because there is SO MUCH excitement about the iPhone 4 right now. I think the iPad would be cooler if it weren't set up so similar to an iPhone to be honest - and more like a laptop or desktop interface. Everytime i go play with one in the store i really enjoy it though. But the new iPhone, although not used for the same applications as an iPad necessarily, will be taking up way too much of my time for me to justify buying an iPad. I am going to wait until future iPad models come out. When they have an iPad with HD video and iMovie, i will then probably purchase one. THAT would be awesome!

Also, i guess i probably use my devices different than all the people that say "no, it does not change my mind on the iPad." Everyone does things their own way - for instance, i do not use my phone much for surfing the net, so the size of font (which someone mentioned earlier) isnt really a big deal to me personally. If i ever surf the net it's on my PC at home or when i'm at work (like right now haha) with nothing better to do.

20. gopherhockey macrumors regular

gopherhockey

My iPad makes me way less excited about the iPhone 4.... seriously. I basically stopped downloading apps for the iPhone and use my iPad constantly. I will get the iPhone 4, but my attention will continue to be on the iPad, and when it gets an upgrade I'll upgrade then too... either sell off the old one or find a way to mount it in my house as a home automation system... or leave it lying around. I'll upgrade my wife's too, of course.

Life is too short to sit around waiting for the next best iteration of something to come along or to worry that one's purchase will be outdated. I'll just keep upgrading and upgrading if I feel the need... or avoid the upgrade if its not compelling. All the same this will be a fun ride as the iPad matures and the Android puts pressure on iPhone to step up its game.

I for one cannot wait for the new iOS on the iPad... I hope they start focusing on it once all this iPhone hoopla is over. :p

21. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I hope you mean at home. It seems like it would be hard to sneak an iPad into the bathroom at work without someone noticing. At work, i feel like nothing beats an iPhone when taking a visit to the executive suites... But then again, i do not currently own an iPad to compare it to.

22. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i'm in the same boat

I actually sold my 3gs last week and was going to go w/o a phone until the iPhone 4 drops, but decided to pick up the 3g iPad to get me over till the phone drops. Dropped almost $900 on the 64gb+3g, thru my sim in there and was off and running. However, realizing that the iPhone will do just about all of the same but in a more convenient size

ipad is a cool device, but for me personally it is not worth it, my macbook+ipad is more than enough

but to all those with it i hope you're enjoying it & its definitely not just a larger ipod touch, its a pretty sweet device indeed

23. tripjammer macrumors 6502a

The ipad is a well a Ipad....and its screen is to die for. The Iphone 4 is your phone and if you have an old iphone you need to get an iphone 4. Preorder while you can because they are gonna sell out for sure.

The Ipad is so awesome, its in a class all its own.