Any iPhone 5 "Lightning" charging docks available?

RamGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I'm looking for something I can have on my bedside, making it easy to dock and charge 2x iPhone 5's using it's new lightning dock. Have anyone been able to find any kind of docks for the iPhone 5 and it's new lightning connector yet, or do I need to be paitent and wait for a while?

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
wow

Dang i like that dock alot in alluminum but dang 80 bucks before shipping, not gonna lie i do plan to buy that as soon as student loans come in, just cant justify spending almost $100 on a dock right now.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
There needs to be some support. Having a 4" lever with only the connector supporting it doesn't look like a good idea.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
There needs to be some support. Having a 4" lever with only the connector supporting it doesn't look like a good idea.
I was curious about this as well... When I first got my iPhone 5, I was surprised to see how solid and strong the Lightning connector seemed.

I was able to hold the phone in the air on a horizontal plane... by grabbing lightning connector's grip only. So the Lightning connector shouldn't have any issue holding the iPhone 5 as it would in a docking station. It didn't seem to be any less capable than the 30-Pin connector (in terms of a docking situation)

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I was curious about this as well... When I first got my iPhone 5, I was surprised to see how solid and strong the Lightning connector seemed.

I was able to hold the phone in the air on a horizontal plane... by grabbing lightning connector's grip only. So the Lightning connector shouldn't have any issue holding the iPhone 5 as it would in a docking station. It didn't seem to be any less capable than the 30-Pin connector (in terms of a docking situation)
I'm not concerned about the lightning connector, I'm concerned about the phone. It's not the phone's weight that will damage...it's waking up at 4 AM when the alarm goes off and pushing straight back on the phone. Something's going to give there.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not concerned about the lightning connector, I'm concerned about the phone. It's not the phone's weight that will damage...it's waking up at 4 AM when the alarm goes off and pushing straight back on the phone. Something's going to give there.
4 AM... that's rough. I hate when I get up at 5 AM, and that's a personal choice when I want to get a run in before I go to work, otherwise it is a 6:30 wake up for me.

Didn't think about it when the phone was vibrating. Although, I think I would still be more worried about breaking it due to early morning clumsiness.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Thanks but it is way too big (vertically) compared to the old iPhone specific docks

Imac Sam

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Harrisonburg, Virginia
The dock-in-case by Made2dock dock http://made2dock.myshopify.com/products/iphone5 is not compatible with the Otterbox Defender case. I was lucky enough to order one the other day, and received it this morning. The basic problem here is the fact the rubber cover for the dock connector is too long and is not flexible enough to move out of the way so that that the iphone can plug in and out easily.

See my youtube video here: http://youtu.be/V1JS0hgisgY

Yes, I suppose I could remove the rubber cover connector, but then that would defeat the purpose of protecting the receptacle from normal dust and dirt in my everyday use.

At this point I am in the process of returning it.