Any iPhone 5 "Lightning" charging docks available?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RamGuy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

I'm looking for something I can have on my bedside, making it easy to dock and charge 2x iPhone 5's using it's new lightning dock. Have anyone been able to find any kind of docks for the iPhone 5 and it's new lightning connector yet, or do I need to be paitent and wait for a while?

2. jazzydrummer7 macrumors newbie

3. Jnava420 macrumors regular

wow

Dang i like that dock alot in alluminum but dang 80 bucks before shipping, not gonna lie i do plan to buy that as soon as student loans come in, just cant justify spending almost $100 on a dock right now.

4. sindekit macrumors member

That dock looks like you could make the wrong move and just completely snap off the connector =/

5. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Wonder if u can find cheaper ones. Docks today cost that kind of money. At least 30-35 dollars.

----------

WOWOWOWW.... looked at hardwood but the alum version is friggin 80 dollars???????????????

6. Jman13 macrumors 68000

There needs to be some support. Having a 4" lever with only the connector supporting it doesn't look like a good idea.

7. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I'm waiting to see how this one turns out: dock-IN-case (iPhone5)

I have the 4/4S model in black and really like it.

8. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Do you know why they call it Dock-in-Case?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think because they say this dock will hold the phone with a case on it.

10. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

Thanks WeasleSneezle ! :)

11. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I was curious about this as well... When I first got my iPhone 5, I was surprised to see how solid and strong the Lightning connector seemed.

I was able to hold the phone in the air on a horizontal plane... by grabbing lightning connector's grip only. So the Lightning connector shouldn't have any issue holding the iPhone 5 as it would in a docking station. It didn't seem to be any less capable than the 30-Pin connector (in terms of a docking situation)

12. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'm not concerned about the lightning connector, I'm concerned about the phone. It's not the phone's weight that will damage...it's waking up at 4 AM when the alarm goes off and pushing straight back on the phone. Something's going to give there.

13. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

4 AM... that's rough. I hate when I get up at 5 AM, and that's a personal choice when I want to get a run in before I go to work, otherwise it is a 6:30 wake up for me.

Didn't think about it when the phone was vibrating. Although, I think I would still be more worried about breaking it due to early morning clumsiness.

14. ToddJ macrumors 6502

Thanks but it is way too big (vertically) compared to the old iPhone specific docks

15. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

The dock-in-case by Made2dock dock http://made2dock.myshopify.com/products/iphone5 is not compatible with the Otterbox Defender case. I was lucky enough to order one the other day, and received it this morning. The basic problem here is the fact the rubber cover for the dock connector is too long and is not flexible enough to move out of the way so that that the iphone can plug in and out easily.

See my youtube video here: http://youtu.be/V1JS0hgisgY

Yes, I suppose I could remove the rubber cover connector, but then that would defeat the purpose of protecting the receptacle from normal dust and dirt in my everyday use.

At this point I am in the process of returning it.