Any iPhone 6 users on sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blockburner28, Jan 15, 2015.

1. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Good evening, to make a long story short. I am due for a upgraded on the 1st of Feb. I have been told by friends who upgraded to phones like the note 4/ iPhone 6 that their network is a lot better then on their old phones (iPhone 4s etc.) Can someone here confirm that they get better data performance from upgrading their headsets? Thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It really depends on your location. What's good in one area does not mean it will be good for all sprint customers.

3. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

I must agree, but my friend live in my area. He said with his iPhone he couldn't use his phone at the gym, but now he can and it works real good. The main area i'm concerned with is the area around my school. Once I hit the ferry thats it LOL. I can't use my phone (internet wise) for a few hours until I get back home from school. If thats the case, I will move to verzion.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

It's not good, new phone or not, in Phoenix. Despite the fact that Sprint's been at it since December 2012 LTE is bad here. Doesn't really matter what phone, it just stinks.

Sprint "launched" PHX as an LTE market with only 40 percent of coverage (by population, not land area) if that tells you anything.

5. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Check to see if there is Spark in you area.
    The previous iphones were not capable of receiving spark.

Sprint in my are works decent

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Sprint really screwed the pooch by going with WiMAX instead of LTE years ago. Thus they are still behind in LTE deployment.

Rather than staying there and hoping they catch up, T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T have better networks now. Why bother waiting around in no-data land?

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

well prior to the Iphone 5 LTE was not even optional, so of course if you are in an area with LTE you will get far better service.

I barely got a 3g signal when I had my 4s where I worked. Then I bought a 6 and nearly have a full LTE signal.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is a common fallacy I seek to correct whenever I see/hear it.

Dan Hesse had just taken the job of CEO when this all came about. The FCC came calling and they told Sprint that if Sprint wanted to keep it's spectrum licenses for certain frequencies, Sprint would have to start using those frequencies or the licenses would be forfeit and Sprint would lose them. The FCC gave Sprint only a certain amount of time to act.

When this happened, LTE was theoretical. It had not been launched, let alone planned by ANY carrier. The standard for it had not been decided.

WiMax however WAS ready and Clearwire was building out WiMax. So Sprint made a deal with Clearwire. Sprint sold it's spectrum licenses to Clearwire. In exchange Clearwire provided WiMax service to Sprint and protected the licenses.

Now, a lot of people hate on Sprint because it's a seriously screwed up and poorly managed company - and that is true. I do not deny it. However, imagine if you will another company that makes Sprint look like a paragon of organizational virtue! That's Clearwire. Or was anyway.

Clearwire charged Sprint $5 a device for access to WiMax, even if a customer was not in a WiMax area. Sprint turned around and double charged their WiMax customers ($10 per device). That later became applied to ALL Sprint customers using smartphones and became known as the Premium Data Fee (which I pay).

Eventually, because of Clearwire's dislike of it's agreement with Sprint it simply decided to stop building out WiMax altogether.

None of that is or was Sprint's fault. Network Vision was the reaction to Clearwire's obstinacy and Sprint's attempt to remove itself from being at the mercy of Clearwire.

But at that point LTE had finally moved into the planning and launch stages for the other carriers - so Sprint was behind. All of Sprint's towers (over 38,000) were still 3G because ALL the WiMax towers were owned by Clearwire.

So, que 2.5 years of ripping out and replacing all the old equipment and you get Sprint even further behind.

Now of course, Sprint has it's spectrum licenses back because they got them back when they bought out Clearwire as part of the deal in Softbank buying Sprint.

I don't object to people coming down on Sprint for things that are legitimately Sprint's fault. But, again, WiMax was not Sprint's fault.

What would you do if the FCC wanted to strip you of your spectrum licenses and the only thing ready to go RIGHT THEN was WiMax?

----------

I have an LTE iPhone 5. I see a lot of 3G and the LTE I do see is sub-3G speeds.

Just saying.

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

That is unfortunate for you, but I was just saying. you won't see any LTE at all on a (pre) Iphone 5. I understand that you REALLY hate Sprint right now, but they are not bad for everyone.

And that is basically what he was asking in his first comment,

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Contrary to popular opinion (or belief) I don't hate Sprint. I am simply expressing my anger and dissatisfaction for not getting what I pay Sprint around $200 for each month.

Again. I do not deny that Sprint has gotten better in places other than where I am. I do not deny that Sprint has a great and fast network in other places.

But conversely, just because you or anyone else gets a great network experience where you are it does not mean it's great everywhere. To deny that Sprint has problems because it's great in one or more areas is the same thing as denying that Sprint HAS improved at all.

11. arbogast777 macrumors regular

As a previous poster said, when it comes to carriers it's all about where you are. The other people in my house are on Verizon and can barely get signal, whereas I'm on Sprint and get excellent signal. We all have the same iPhones. Do you have anybody you know on Sprint that can come to your house and see what kind of coverage they get?

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You have three options.

1) Keep your current phone and save the upgrade
    2) Talk with more friends with Sprint iPhone 6 and ask them specifically about certain areas of coverage.
    3) Use your upgrade to get iPhone 6. Use the 14 day return period to test cell phone reception and general use of phone. If you aren't happy, you can return the phone.

As far as speed, Sprint is no AT&T or Verizon. However, they are definitely making gains.

A lot of people complain about Sprint speed, because they don't get 15 - 20 + MBPS in many places like they do with the aforementioned areas a lot of times.

It is my contention, that many of these same people are hung up on the numbers game. And surfing the web at a little lower LTE is not going to be noticeable to the average person. The people clocking speeds all the time are the ones who notice and then complain.

The question you asked is one that is asked about any carrier. Don't let the Sprint haters on here do your thinking for you. They don't live where you live, and they don't pay your bills.

I have been a Sprint user for 15+ years. I don't get LTE in every place I go. But, the places I do, it is good for my needs. Sometimes, I have crappy signal. Those times are the exception. For the money and Sprint's unlimited plan fits my needs in the areas I go. If it didn't, I would look to another carrier.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why didn't Sprint simply deploy CDMA2K on those bands for the moment to fulfill the requirement? Then they could have just refarmed those bands to LTE when they were ready.

14. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Well first of all an iPhone 4S is not an lte device, so an iPhone 5 and higher will of course be faster, Now since iPhone 6 has band 41 it will be much faster.

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Said this already and nobody acknowledged it:rolleyes:

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My understanding is that Sprint already had CDMA2000 when they went with WiMax.

But CDMA2000 is 3G. You're going to top out around 2mbs down. Clearwire was building out a Wimax network and the opportunity to offer their customers much faster speeds over the other carriers and protect their spectrum licenses is probably what motivated Sprint. I'm also not sure CDMA2000 would have operated in the 2.5Ghz spectrum, which is the spectrum Sprint was trying to protect.

I'm guessing, because I don't know why they chose WiMax over CDMA2000, but I do know they did.
    [​IMG]

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I paid Sprint on average $67/month since I got my 4S and my history always showed xx KB of data. That's right, KB. I asked if I can go under a pre-paid plan without data after my 2-yr. contract and they told me I had to buy a Sprint phone compatible with their pre-paid plans. I have a Sprint 4S and was perplexed why they couldn't activate my phone on their pre-pay plan. Total BS!

Customer Service and Voice was excellent I must admit, but they had so many restrictions. Now, I'm with T-Mobile and I'm happier. I'm getting more for what I paid at Sprint.

18. avoidandroid macrumors member

I'm surprised that Sprint and there 2G service are still in business.

hahahaha...ok, I'm done!!

19. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Thanks, i been with sprint since 2006 and I pay 135$ with tax for me and my wife phone services. 2 iPhones and 1400 min unlimited text and data. Unlimited mobile to mobile. Since I upgraded to the iPhone 5s i have been unimpressed with the services/speed. Sprint is currently finished upgraded the 4g in our area and it's still bad. I know I heard about the new iPhone having extra bands open, so that might improve it. More importantly I just need sprint to work around my school and I will be okay with it. I can not use the internet around my school to save my life lol.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The iPhone 5 has Band 25 (1900mhz) and 800mhz for voice.
    The iPhone 5s/5c has Band 25 and Band 26 (800mhz).
    The iPhone 6/6+ has Band 25, 26 and Band 41 (2.8Ghz).

Now you say you are unimpressed with the 5s. You have two of the three bands that Spark uses. That says to me that Sprint does not have Spark in your market.

If Sprint does not have Spark in your market and your iPhone 5s is not using Band 26 even though it's capable, an upgrade to a 6/6+ is likely to further disappoint you as now you would have TWO bands that are not being used because there is no Spark in your market.

So, it's really up to you. Maybe Spark is coming, maybe it's not. It's not due to arrive in my market until 2017.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You should talk to Sprint. Loyal customers, which you are, are eligible for unlimited talk at no extra cost.

As to whether or not the new iPhone will work in your area, I don't know. I hear ya, though.

----------

How do you tell what band your phone is using at a particular moment?

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Go to the Phone app and bring up the dialer.

Type in this: *3001#12345#* and hit Call.

This will give you access to the Engineering screen/Field Test Mode. If you poke around in there you should be able to find the screen that tells you what band you are connected to.

Incidentally, if you Force Quit the phone app will in the enginnering screen the DBPM indicator in the top left of the status bar will stay. You can switch back and forth between that and your signal bars (or dots) by tapping it.

If you are jailbroken there is an app out there in Cydia called Signal 2 that presents the information you get from the engineering screen and can show you what towers your phone is connected to.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Thanks a lot. I am showing band 26 at the moment and the other option listings are empty.

Edited to add: It just went to band 25 and showing 5 MHZ download bandwidth with other options showing information. I guess band 26 isn't live in my area?

I am not broken.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, they could be testing or you could just be on the fringe of whatever tower is broadcasting Band 26.

There's a lot of factors involved to holding a signal and if the signal is weak your phone will move on to something it can hold on to better. Or at least it's supposed to anyway.

I'd test other places before you decide that Band 26 is not there. Once Sprint shut down the last of the Nextel towers it immediately began repurposing them for LTE. That's not something they have made any noise about, Band 26 has just quietly been appearing.

Sprint makes noise about Spark because it involves aggregation of all three bands to make for faster network connections.

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Thank you for the follow-up information. I will make sure to test the band when I am out and about next time.