Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 7 Plus bent?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No

Votes: 45 97.8%

• Total voters

Gibson88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
United Kingdom
I know the iPhone 8 is around the corner but I have an opportunity on a good deal for a 7 Plus. The only thing putting me off is the bend problems with the larger models.

I'm aware since the 6S changed have been made but I just wanted to get people's experiences with 5.5" sizes for peace of mind.

So yeah pretty simple has your 7 Plus bent?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 7+ has not bent but I do not carry in back pocket.

One of my friends did bend hers but she wore tighter pants and sat on her phone. You could actually see wear on her pants where the phone was kept. She took it to Apple and they refused to replace due to user induced damage. Can not blame Apple as I have not heard of many bent 7 units.

Last edited:

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
No bending has been reported world wide, unless it is deliberately bend with craftsman's tool and force. Save to buy.

Reactions: Orangeman13

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I am afraid when they were looking for bent phones, worldwide, they did not ask the Jacksonville store because I know for a fact they saw at least one bent 7+.

Anything can bend, even the sturdiest steel rod can. A thin 4mm metal case such as iphone could bend, and so can any make. was the report said the bend was caused in the back pocket? An obese 200lbs person vs a skinny person 130lb will cause different pressure on the phone when they squat. Thus of course there is a limit. But why put in back pocket, common sense we would still want to protect our phones and keep it in a saver place such as hand carry or shirt pockets. 1 out of millions is not enough to call it a fail product and perhaps it is covered under warranty.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Those of us over 200 pounds are obese ? How hurtful! :p. I carry my phone in my back pocket and always have. But I'm a bigger guy (200+ pounds) and my phone easily fits in the back. I sat on my note 3 in bed one time but that's the only one I've sat on - phone survived. I had a 6+ for 1.7? Years and I'm passing 1 year one month soon on my 6s+. It's in my back pocket whenever I go anywhere and I take it out and put it on my lap or table if I sit.

Watch the bend test videos on YouTube. It's not easy to bend these. Is it possible - yes. But you have to want to do it. I've got in a good habit and it works for me (back pocket).

I have a coworker who keeps his 6+ in his front pocket with his keys. No bending.

I wouldn't let fear of bending keep you from getting a plus model.

fartnugget213

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2017
I can't comment on the tight pants because I wear joggers, but I have no bending at all. I keep my phone in my front left pocket.

I'm using a crummy 10$ spigen case on the product red model, and even at times where I pick up a 70lb+ dumbbell and throw it on my legs before I kick it up, I don't have any bend issues at all. Sometimes the phone gets sandwiched between my leg and the weight but I've yet to see any bending.

Reactions: chilman

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Anything can bend, even the sturdiest steel rod can. A thin 4mm metal case such as iphone could bend, and so can any make. was the report said the bend was caused in the back pocket? An obese 200lbs person vs a skinny person 130lb will cause different pressure on the phone when they squat. Thus of course there is a limit. But why put in back pocket, common sense we would still want to protect our phones and keep it in a saver place such as hand carry or shirt pockets. 1 out of millions is not enough to call it a fail product and perhaps it is covered under warranty.

Then your original statement was false.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I carry my iPhone 7+ in the back pocket of my jeans all the time. And I'm over 200lbs. (Let's just agree that it's muscle.)

It's clearly immensely strong. I have no worries about it bending at all.

I also carry it naked. (It. Not me.) Sure, there are some microscratches. But you have to look for them in the right light at the right angle.

I have considered getting an iPhone SE for when I want something really small and light to carry around, but it wouldn't be connected to my Apple Watch. And only a lunatic has two phones. (The SE is 113g to the 7+'s 188g.)

I've even considered getting an iPod touch (88g). But then I'd have no cellular service, either.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I carry my iPhone 7+ in the back pocket of my jeans all the time. And I'm over 200lbs. (Let's just agree that it's muscle.)

It's clearly immensely strong. I have no worries about it bending at all.

I also carry it naked. (It. Not me.) Sure, there are some microscratches. But you have to look for them in the right light at the right angle.

I have considered getting an iPhone SE for when I want something really small and light to carry around, but it wouldn't be connected to my Apple Watch. And only a lunatic has two phones. (The SE is 113g to the 7+'s 188g.)

I've even considered getting an iPod touch (88g). But then I'd have no cellular service, either.

You have proven the test by carrying mostly in your back pockets and maybe even wearing tight jeans. I'm not so worry abt the bending when sometimes I put it in my back pocket myself. In standing/ walking postion there is no pressure against the phone but when you sit or squat. I'm more worried abt how much pressure the screen can take when I sit or in a certain body position . So before I'm abt to sit down I would take it out my back/front pockets and just leave it on the table.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Just on a side note how do people normally carry their larger phones around?
I carry my 7 Plus everywhere. Usually in one of my back pockets, sometimes in one of my front pockets. Just like I carried my 6 Plus around. No bending on mine.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I know the iPhone 8 is around the corner but I have an opportunity on a good deal for a 7 Plus. The only thing putting me off is the bend problems with the larger models.

I'm aware since the 6S changed have been made but I just wanted to get people's experiences with 5.5" sizes for peace of mind.

So yeah pretty simple has your 7 Plus bent?

Got a 6+. Not bent because I'm not stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.