Any iPhone plans minutes-based?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingsley, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Wingsley macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forums and have a few questions.

I am a U.S.A. resident and currently own a simple pay-as-you-go, minutes-based cellphone (Tracfone). You can purchase varying amounts of minutes for the phone, and it usually comes out to about $22 for 90 days. I live in a very hilly rural area where cellular coverage is spotty at best and I am very mobile. I've come to find cellular service to be unreliable and not worth more than a cheap minutes-based service. Verizon Wireless dominates most of the area in these hills with their (insufficient) tower-coverage.

Because cellular service is unreliable here, I have very little experience with uber-mobile networking culture. I occasionally receive useful text messages but I never send any. (My Tracfone only has a simple phone keypad, so I never tried to send a message with it.) I only occasionally use my cellphone for voice-calls; some calls for business, some for personal conversation. I tried setting up a voice-mailbox with Google Voice so I could check my voice-mail through a web-browser, but Tracfone and Google Voice don't work together well.

I also own an old, first-generation iPod, which is getting worn out.

I was thinking about getting an iPhone, and wondered if there was a plan available that would allow for a cheap, minutes-based service so I could replace my Tracfone and my iPod at the same time. Does such a plan exist?

MY CURRENT CELLPHONE:
    Tracfone Motorola C139 or similar open-face model (minutes-based, pay-as-you-go)

MY CURRENT CELLULAR USAGE:
    • Personal: send/receive some voice calls, rarely receive text messages
    • Business: send/recieve voice calls

BUSINESS LANDLINE:
    Verizon voice-phone and internet DSL connection

MY COMPUTER HARDWARE
    late-2012 iMac, Airport WiFi connected to DSL (share w/ another person's laptop)

THINGS I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DO WITH A NEW IPHONE:
    • send/receive voice calls occasionally
    • send/receive text messages
    • connect text messages to my e-mail address
    • tie my cellular voice-mail to an internet-based service like Google Voice, so I can check voice-mail via a web-browser
    • use WiFi to check weather radar, e-mail
    • use iPhone as a calculator
    • use iPhone to scan-in purchase receipts, invoices, etc. and store and relay these to my iMac for records-keeping
    • use iPhone as a music player/iPod
    • use WiFi at home to relay iPhone's camera-photos to e-mail and/or Instagram
    • use iPhone as a voice-recorder to take voice to-do notes for later action

Is this possible? Is there an iPhone plan that would work on minutes, and be able to function on local cell towers?

2. 617aircav Suspended

There no iphone specific plans. Any plan will work on the iphone.