Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NokX

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2003
Knoxville, TN
has anyone heard about apple finally adding the ability for push applications, or to send/receive MMS (true MMS, not via email or some app i have to download), or the ability to create groups in contacts so i can send emails and text messages to groups of people at a time instead of having to hand pick them individually?

those three things drive me up the wall more than anything.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
has anyone heard about apple finally adding the ability for push applications, or to send/receive MMS (true MMS, not via email or some app i have to download), or the ability to create groups in contacts so i can send emails and text messages to groups of people at a time instead of having to hand pick them individually? those three things drive me up the wall more than anything.

Yes, it has been confirmed that all these features will be in the next firmware upgrade....Along with the OZ application that adds any feature you want to the iPhone when you click your heels together 3 times.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
You would've have heard about the rumors because there would be 10 threads all asking the same thing about the rumors in this section alone.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Push should have been here already, it's not a rumor, it's been confirmed.
We just have to wait for it to start working.

Seriously, where is that push notification? September release my butt.

Fer sure! Along with those headphones that were supposed to be out in October but weren't out until late December.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Yeah. I guess the only hope is that, given the amount of development time that has (probably) gone into push notification, it has a decent chance of getting out the door in a working condition. Unlike that other cloud service. ehem. :)

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Dumb question.. but what is a "push" application??

Thing of it like this, you know how when you retrieve you mail manually?
That's basically "pulling" it from the network. And when you get SMS and phone calls, that's information being "pushed" onto your device from the network. We wer told that in September we would get "push" for apps other than the native ones.

Yeah. I guess the only hope is that, given the amount of development time that has (probably) gone into push notification, it has a decent chance of getting out the door in a working condition. Unlike that other cloud service. ehem. :)

*cough* mobile me *cough*

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
A great example of the utility of this is instant messaging apps. Currently, you have to have the app running/be logged in to use it. With this push stuff, you could exit the app and being doing other things. Someone IMs you, and you get a number badge (the red circle with a number in it, just like when there are updates in the App store) on the IM app icon saying, Oh hey, you have an IM.

VERY useful.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Or, as I think looks increasingly likely, that it has just been dumped and will never appear.

Especially if there's a possiblity that a new iPhone will be able to run multiple applications due to having a multicore processor.

Phazer

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Or, as I think looks increasingly likely, that it has just been dumped and will never appear.

Especially if there's a possiblity that a new iPhone will be able to run multiple applications due to having a multicore processor.

Phazer

Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. I suppose that this is a possible reason. However, I'm pretty sure they mentioned (at some point) that things were running late and they were still working on it. If they were planning to drop it (at least at that point) they wouldn't have brought it up again.

While I'm moaning and groaning, what about that MobileMe feature that was going to allow for emailing password protected links to files on our iDisks. Sheesh. Forgot about that one.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
My answer to the title of this thread:

Yes, there are always PLENTY of rumors here. Hence the name MacRumors.

Substantiated rumors about Apple? That's another story. It ain't true until we ALL know about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.