Any iPhone users in Minnesota? AT&T reception?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Veritas&Equitas, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Hey all, I'm looking to switch to AT&T for the iPhone, but I'm really wondering the quality of the calls, how many drops, etc. here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area & surrounding suburbs (specifically southwest suburbs). I'd be switching from Verizon, and while I know Verizon is better for call quality, reception, etc. I'm just wondering if it's possible to stomach the loss in quality for having the iPhone, or is it just that unbearable?

Is there anyone that has an iPhone in the MSP/suburbs area? If so, how is the coverage?

2. paulyras macrumors 6502

I do, and live in St. Paul. It's actually pretty good, especially in MPLS. I've hit a couple of dead spots, but they're pretty rare. I'd say not much (though a little) worse than Sprint and definitely better than T-Mo. I don't have any frame of reference with Verizon though.

As for the call quality, I have no complaints at all. I tend to believe that the handset is really the biggest determinant of that, and the iphone sounds pretty damn good. I'd say go for it.

PM me if you have any additional questions.

Paul

3. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I too live in the Twin Cities and I echo the above.....

4. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Awesome! Might have to end up changingin carriers for the sexy iPhone...do either of you or anyone else have any experience with it in the Eden Prairie/Minnetonka/Hopkins/Edina/Wayzata area? Either there or up near Brainerd (cabin)? I guess my main concerns are SW Suburbs and Brainerd area....any insight would be appreciated...thanks!

5. paulyras macrumors 6502

Hmmm... Can't help there. Most of my insight is from the east metro. I would check ATT's coverage map for a big picture idea, but beynd that, I don't know.

One reference point though. I travel to Rochester for work all the time, and I can go all the way from St. Paul to Rochester on 52 without dropping a call, so the coverage doesn't go to complete crap outside of the cities.

Paul

6. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

I agree with all the posts above. I live in Southwest suburb of MPLS, but go to school west of St. Cloud. I can say that I get 4-5 bars throughout the twin cities, and 5 bars in St. Cloud.

One bad thing is that where i go to school, i get about 1 to no service, but from the sounds of it, this isn't the area you are talking about :)

I will say though, that in Minnesota verizon does get the best reception, hands down (in my opinion), but in the areas you are talking about, AT&T is just as good. It might not be as good inside buildings like Verizon, but I do not know for certain.

I will say though, i love the iphone, and if AT&T will get off their butts and activate the tower by my college, I'll be even more satisfied!

Enjoy your iphone, and AT&T is just fine in the metro area.

edit:
    Just saw your post, and I do live in edina, and worked in hopkins, and cell reception is great. Even all the way out to EP mall, north to anoka and coon rapids.

Not sure about up north, but all along i94 is 3-5 bars, only tricky part is when you go off the highway and if you are in an especially rural area