Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I have very little credit history, if any at all (according to two of the three credit bureaus of America). Don't know how it happened, but it probably has to do with, as a child, seeing my mother in constant credit crisis as she raised me an my sisters on her own. Led to the sometimes poor habit of always buying in cash, and all up front. No cars, no credit cards, not a homeowner, no loans, full scholarship to college.

I recently tried to purchase an iPhone from AT&T's "Premier" online shop, only to be turned down. Today I received a notice from AT&T claiming that I was turned down because they require a deposit from folks like me, and Equifax "did not make a decision" on the deposit request. :confused:

I was never asked to make a deposit by AT&T or Equifax, so I'm a little bit dumbfounded. I would have gladly done so.

My question is: do you think I'd be denied if I walk over to the Apple Store tonight to pick one up in person? Do any of you have bad or no credit, and were allowed to leave the store with an iPhone? Did you have to make a deposit (how much, if you don't mind me asking)? Is there any way to get pre-approved over the phone before walking over there?

Thanks in advance.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Previous threads on depo's required to get an iPhone do exist.
The depo rate depends on many factors no one but AT&T know. Your depo could range from as little 200 U$D to as much as 1200 U$D. They do return the $ at the end of a year and I think they add a bit of interest (1%?)

Best bet is go to a Corp AT&T and talk to a sale drone. They will be able to tell you what you will need to do to get an acct.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Been there

Go to apple att store and buy a gift card and use that to buy the phone then att stores should have a way to set up a payment plan for you I had zero credit and got one fairly easy!:)

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
thanks for the input folks.

It's funny, Apple store just sent out an email with a link to apply online for an iPhone (it would still need to be picked up in store). They ran a credit check and said i'm eligible, but will need to put down a $200 deposit. It also schedules me for an appointment with a "genius" for setup.

jeremykyle

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I was 18 when I signed my contract and bought an iPhone. I did it thought the AT&T store though, and had to pay a $150 deposit. I have absolutely NO credit except for the iPhone contract, and no credit before I signed that. They go easier on you if you have no credit rather than if you have bad credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.