Any Ipod Touch With Camera In The Future?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RunOverProducti, Jun 22, 2009.

1. RunOverProducti macrumors regular

Just wondering when we will see an iPod touch with camera/video... I just purchased an iPod touch yesterday, and I wish it had a camera/video.

When do you think we will see it?

THANKS

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I doubt it, unless you want to see the cost of the device skyrocket.

3. RunOverProducti thread starter macrumors regular

I hear you, i think it would be reasonable to keep the prices for iTouch where they're at, but charge $50.0 more for the camera/video...

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The camera in the 3G cost about $7.00. I think you are overstating with the term "skyrocket".

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Obviously you people don't understand at all Apple if you think they would just charge you their bulk rate for the parts....

A camera requires an ENTIRE device redesign/modification including internal placement, exterior, and operating system. You are minimizing the problem by indicating its a mere $7 fix. I estimate would cost you $300+ for the iPod Touch with Video. And since the incentive for the iPhone over the iPod Touch includes camera, I think it would possibly be more.

6. RunOverProducti thread starter macrumors regular

No matter what, that has to be the next step for iPod Touch, also it would be cool if somehow they could make free unlimited access only to the Appstore and itunes.

It starts with a dream!

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Whoa. I never mentioned what Apple would charge. Just stated an estimate of the hardware cost.

It would not require an ENTIRE device redesign. Probably just the back panel. The OS is done and would require minor tweaking. They would have to reorganize the interior.

Regardless, these are all fixed costs. The cost to produce each device would only go up slightly more than the cost of the camera. It is possible that the additional cost could even be swallowed up by a decrease in flash prices, so Apple could maintain their current margins at their current price.

Apple may very well charge $80+ dollars more for an iPod Touch with Video. But they wouldn't need to to maintain their current margins.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Didn't they make it so even iPhone owners who pay a data fee couldn't re-download apps over the network (you needed wifi) without paying for the app again?

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No.

10. simeezee macrumors member

I think eventually apple will add some features to the current touch. maybe a built in mic or camera. hardware changes lead to unlimited possible apps, which means apple will make more money. it's always good to jb your device to get all those apps for free :D

11. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

12. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I think the likely hood of a camera is very small since it's going into the iPhone market. Compass and more space and better speaker is much more likely maybe even a built in mic.

13. RunOverProducti thread starter macrumors regular

I'm talking about unlimited access to App store and itunes without WIFI connection...

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

And how would you communicate with the iTunes store without wi-fi?

They're not going to put 3G on an iPod Touch since you would need a phone contract to do that.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What's wrong with that? I would not buy an iPhone with the current contracts. But I would buy an iPod Touch with a $30 3G data plan and gps.

16. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Yes, but there is currently too strong an association with 3G and cell phone contracts. While 3G is certainly possible, and many netbooks have 3G, it just isn't likely.

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I don't get your reasoning. I think a persistent data connection is inevitable (3G, 4G, whatever). It's just a question of how soon.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Is mifi with verizon and a Touch a credible alternative?

19. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Yea I thought mifi verizon would be cool but the rates are crazy expensive + a 2 year contract

It would be nice if I can get the mifi and use it with any carrier. Is that possible?:confused:

20. RunOverProducti thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't even thinking about a $30 data plan for iPod Touch which is a good idea.

I was just saying to have Apple somehow provide free unlimited access to the App Store and iTunes without trying to connect to a WIFI, maybe it could be more profitable depending on expenses for this service to provide free unlimited access without WFI...

The sales could go up even more because of that access to App Store and iTunes without WIFI.

I already have a few Apps I want but I'm at work and no WIFI, that's how I came to think of it.

I would go for either:

1) $30 unlimited data access...

2)10$ a month or $10 a year for unlimited access to App Store or iTunes

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There are plenty of other mp3 players out there with cameras. There are even cameras out there with mp3 playback ability. Cameras are a dime a dozen on cell phones. So will there ever be on on an iPod Touch? It is inevitable. Why? Apple has to improve the Touch every year. There are only so many things left to add to it. It already has support for photos, and photo apps too. It has a beautiful screen for a viewfinder. They know how to stick a camera in a media player (iPhone). Maybe not this year, but I promise there will be a camera on a Touch before the decade is over.

22. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

The decade ends on December 31 of this year. But I know what you meant :p