Any issue with jailbroken/unlocked iPhone and AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slipper, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Any issue with jailbroken/unlocked iPhone and AppleCare?

1. AppleCare granted warranty and support to my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. AppleCare denied/voided warranty and support to my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I did not attempt to get warranty support yet on my jailbroken/unlocked iPhone

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

So now that it is ok to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone has anyone had any issues with AppleCare denying coverage, straight out voiding warranty, or making unwarranted claims that the software modification has damaged your iPhone?

2. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

First, the ruling only stated that jailbreaking your iPhone is not in violation of the DMCA. It stated nothing else in regards to the legality or illegality of jailbreaking under any other laws.

Secondly, jailbreaking your phone still does void your warranty with Apple. However, if you restore your phone before you give it to them for repair then they probably will not know that you jailbroke it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

jailbreaking your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch still voids your warranty, no matter what the government says.

4. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Heh? OK maybe i don't fully understand the situation. So the government can pass a law and Apple is free to do whatever they want?

From my understanding from what i read it is ok to jailbreak and unlock BUT if Apple can prove the software modification has permanently damaged your iPhone then they can void AppleCare.

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Previously, by the wording of the DCMA, Apple could of sued the dev team and/or you for bypassing copyright protection. This is the same law/act (DCMA) that prevents you from utilizing your fair use/back up rights.

The government merely said that taking that option is no longer available to Apple.

It did not require Apple to service such devices under it's warranty, which would be outside the scope of the government's proper reach anyway.

6. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

This
    The government cant tell apple what it has to warranty. Apple could very well say that starting tomorrow the iphone will be sold without any kind of warranty what-so-ever and the federal government cant do anything about it. Needless to say the regime in office now would try but hopefully fail.

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Those closest the government comes to telling someone what/how they are to warranty anything is if they claim a "Full" warranty - that has a specific minimum meaning under federal law.