Any Issue With Turning Off Power Strip?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bsbeamer, Jun 21, 2013.

1. bsbeamer, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

bsbeamer macrumors 6502

My MacPro 5,1 workstation is connected to a surge protected power strip along with the other peripherals connected to the workstation. I'm not always on this machine (at client's office often), so I turn the power strip off to save on vampire draw and reduce surge risk when I'm not around (bad weather or frequent utility work nearby).

Is this workflow/procedure known to cause any issues? I assume not, but wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with doing this. (Recently had an issue with my non-EFI graphics card and trying to eliminate any possible causes.)

2. Bear macrumors G3

I presume you've already shut down the Mac when you turn off the power strip? As long as the Mac is completely shut down there should be no problem with this.

3. bsbeamer thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I completely shutdown through the normal menu "Apple > Shut Down" and wait for the machine to fully rest several minutes before turning off the power strip.

4. DPUser macrumors 6502a

No problem, as long as you don't have your UPS plugged into the power strip...

You DO have a UPS, don't you? If you don't, you might consider adding one to protect your system.

5. WMD macrumors regular

You'll probably run down the PRAM battery by turning off the power strip. I wouldn't do it.

6. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Its fine, been doing it for years with my MacPros