Any issues re-installing original HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CGW, Nov 12, 2015.

1. CGW macrumors newbie

About a year ago, I replaced my 2010 MacBook Pro's HDD with an SSD. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data to the SSD. The HDD has been set aside. Since that time, I've installed various Apple updates but haven't upgraded to El Capitan yet.

I'm about to upgrade to a newer MacBook Pro. I have a buyer for the 2010 model but they want the original equipment; i.e, the HDD. So I'm planning to remove the SSD and re-install the HDD. Afterward, I want to confirm that the system boots properly. I'm hoping that OS X will boot off the re-installed HDD without an issue ... and that it will prompt me to re-install all the updates. Will I run into any problems doing this?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You shouldn't do, be extra careful of the sata cable though the ones in those macs are notoriously delicate.

3. CGW, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

CGW thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, good reminder, thanks. I recall reading about the fragility of the SATA cable on the website that described the replacement process.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Never mind updates, you want to reinstall the original HDD with your data wiped and a fresh install of the OS on it, your buyer can then update as they require.

Make a bootable USB installer with DiskmakerX would be my advice, then install the HDD, boot of the USB drive and use it to erase the HDD and install a blank OS.

5. CGW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I wasn't familiar with DiskmakerX until you mentioned it. I read over the "What's this?" and "FAQ" pages ... but it's not clear to me how it "tries to find a valid OS X Install app". I believe my MBP came with Snow Leopard, probably on CD or DVD. Of course, I've installed numerous major OS X updates since then. Since presumably everything on the HDD was copied to the SSD, will DiskmakerX somehow find something on the SSD that it can use to copy to the bootable USB thumbdrive so as to thereafter install a blank OS on the HDD after I swap it with the SSD?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You wil need to download an installer file from the App Store, when it finishes downloading it will launch, quit the update and copy the installer from Applications to your Desktop, then run Dismaker and it will find it. Your other option is to install the HDD and install from your CDs if you still have them. Likely you will only be able to get the El-Capitan installer from the App Store...

7. CGW thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the OS X installation media; now that I think about it, I believe it came with only an iLife DVD.

Didn't have a chance to work on this until last night. I downloaded the El Capitan installer and then created the Diskmaker boot USB. When the MacBook boots off of the USB, the following menu appears.
    File_000.jpeg
    This is with the SSD still installed. Since I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the data to the SSD, the HDD presumably has this item, too.

Does the presence of the "Recovery-10.10.3" indicate that (after re-inserting the HDD) I could boot off of the recovery item ... and use that to wipe the other part of the drive and then to install the OS?

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Yes but it would have to download the OS again - the Recovery Partition doesn't contain an installer file.

I would simply go ahead and boot from the USB and install to the SSD from there.

9. CGW thread starter macrumors newbie

Diskmaker worked great! Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, I'm selling this MBP for a generous price to CashForYourMac.com. They request the original drive and memory -- hence the reason for my re-installing the factory HDD and two 2GB sticks of RAM.

10. CGW, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015

CGW thread starter macrumors newbie

After removing the SSD and re-installing the HDD, I hear and feel slight movement/shifting when the MBP is turned over; e.g., to check the bottom of the case. The bracket and two screws that hold the drive are firmly in place. So what could be allowing the drive to shift?

Update: I think I figured out the problem. When I replaced the HDD a year ago, I moved the tiny side bolts to the SSD. I forgot to move the bolts back when I re-installed the HDD. That would explain why the HDD is subtly shifting around inside the case. I'll need to re-open the case so as to move the bolts!