Any issues running SSD partitioned for both OSX and Win 7 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GMink, Feb 21, 2010.

1. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

I'm in the process of upgrading all of my drives and going with SSD for OS boot drives.

I only have one drive bay left for the SSD drive, so I'm wondering if there are any issues with placing both the OSX and Win 7 boots on the same drive. Are there any issues or concerns with partitioning the drive for both?

I wish I had room for a dedicated SSD for each OS but I'm going to have to settle for the one drive. I bought 2x WD Caviar Black 1T for my work drives, and a Hitachi 2T for my backup and archive drive. Both of the 5.24" bays have DVD drives, with a SATA BD in the lower.

Thanks for your input!

George

2. teeck2000 macrumors regular

I am using the intel X-25m G2 160GB SSD for Snow leopard 10.6.2 and Win 7 and have had no problems whatsoever, it works great. Only thing is I run out of space fast on the windows side cause games take up a lot of space and I only have it partitioned for 50gb, but I just move stuff around, but should be better if you partition more space, not a big deal.

3. GMink thread starter macrumors regular

GMink

Good to know.

I wish I had the money for the Intel 160Gb, I'm probably going with a 128Gb drive from A-Data or Crucial since they are around $300.

I only need to format the OSX side to around 40Gb leaving the rest for Windows. In fact my loaded OSX install right now (minus the home directory) is under 10Gb and my Windows 7 is around 35Gb without my personal files.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Figure the max size you need, and add 20% for wear leveling. So if you only need 40GB, multiply by 1.2, and you get 48GB (I'd go ahead and round up to 50GB, but that's me). What ever's left would be usable for Windows (minus 20%), so what ever remains, multiply by 0.8 to give you the max capacity you should ever allow on the Windows partition.

Hope this helps. :)

5. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

How long have you been moving things around on W7 and have you noticed any performance / speed drops as you go?

6. teeck2000 macrumors regular

I would say about 2 months, but I don't really move around files too much. It's running very good, I am getting 249 mb read speed for what it's worth and my boot up/app launches are the same.

7. GoHack macrumors member

Any advantage using two(2) 80 gb Intel X-25m G2's in RAID 0 vs. using one (1) 160 gb?

8. GMink thread starter macrumors regular

GMink

The raid setup will be much faster (if that is possible! lol)

But you can't boot windows off a software raid array in OSX
    If you only want your OSX on the drive then that would be the way to go.
    Another thing, if you do have a windows vista or 7 install wiht BC 3.0 or 3.1the HFS drivers won't work if any of your drives are in software raid under OSX. You can disable the HSF drivers but you won't be able to see your mac drives.

No such thing as a perfect set up, everything is a comprimise