Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Hey there,

I'm looking to see if anyone has had any issues with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M in the latest 2014 15" MacBook Pros. I've got my eye on a few models from Apple's refurbished selection as it would save me a decent amount of cash versus buying new and this happens to be one of the models in question.

I've been burned by NVIDIA's GPUs before (including the 8600M GT in a late 2007 and early 2008 MBP, 330M in a Mid 2010 MBP, and a GT 650M in a Mid 2012 MBP (non-Retina)) so I'm quite hesitant to purchase another MBP with a NVIDIA GPU in it. So I guess I'm just wondering if it's still something I should be worried about or if it's alright to purchase one of these models.

Thanks for your insight and have a good one. :)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hey there,

I'm looking to see if anyone has had any issues with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M in the latest 2014 15" MacBook Pros. I've got my eye on a few models from Apple's refurbished selection as it would save me a decent amount of cash versus buying new and this happens to be one of the models in question.

I've been burned by NVIDIA's GPUs before (including the 8600M GT in a late 2007 and early 2008 MBP, 330M in a Mid 2010 MBP, and a GT 650M in a Mid 2012 MBP (non-Retina)) so I'm quite hesitant to purchase another MBP with a NVIDIA GPU in it. So I guess I'm just wondering if it's still something I should be worried about or if it's alright to purchase one of these models.

Thanks for your insight and have a good one. :)

The cMBPs all have bad ventilation, causing the GPUs to fail.

The rMBPs have far better ventilation, making GPUS failures far less likely.

If there were any widespread problems with the rMBP dGPUs, we would have heard them since last year.

So just go for it.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just ordered a refurb 2012 non-retina MBP with the Nvidia GT 650M 512MB, I thought the issues with this GPU were in the rMBPs, is that not correct?

The reason I wanted a refurb 2012 model is I want the ability to update HDD/SDD, Ram, etc.

Is the failure of this GPU very widespread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.