Any issues with upgrading iPhone 3G with iOS 3.1.3 to iPhone 4 with iOS 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zombieflanders, Jun 23, 2010.

1. zombieflanders macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 on it's way to my greedy little fingers, but in the meantime, I've been making do with my trusty 3G. I'd heard iffy things about the iOS 4 betas on the 3G, and those don't seem to have been fixed for the final release. Because of that, I've kept my 3G on iOS 3.1.3. However, once the new phone gets here and activated, I want to keep all my texts, history, contacts, etc from the old phone and move them to the new one.

So here's the problem: I've heard that the easiest way to keep everything when upgrading to another phone is to use the "Restore from Backup" function. Is this correct? If so, will I have any problems with using that function on the iPhone 4 if I don't upgrade to iOS 4 on the 3G?

P.S. - If it makes any difference, all of my backups since upgrading to 3.0 have been incremental, not full. The last time I tried a full backup it took 4+ hrs.

2. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

In the same boat and wondering the same thing. I have an iPhone 3g and wasn't able to update to iOS 4 becasue iTunes kept getting stuck at the backup stage. I am just going to leave my 3G at 3.1.3. I am getting an iPhone 4 tomorrow and was wondering the same thing, i.e., if it would cause any issues for the new phone if I "restored from backup" from a 3.1.3 iPhone 3G backup so to speak. Can't seem to get any straight answers on that just yet.

Anybody?

3. zombieflanders thread starter macrumors member

Is there really no one else in the same boat, even though 3G -> 4 is apparently the most common upgrade path and iOS 4 seems to be unpopular with 3G users?

4. phelly macrumors newbie

Loads of people this time round. Backups can take 12 hours plus before failing. Most seem to be on Win 7 64bit

(me included)