Any junk on new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rocinante67, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Rocinante67 macrumors newbie

I am on the verge of purchasing my first iMac. So far just an iPad and iPhone owner, but I'm ready for the plunge. Just 1 question though (and please forgive me if it is a stupid question) do they come with similar useless crap apps like the horrid Windows machines do? Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. lamboman macrumors 6502

4. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

I think that's what I hate the most from brand new Windows PCs. All the pre-loaded junk that comes on them. I'm making the switch to an iMac this summer once the new model comes out. No more Windows machines in my house. I'll be selling my Windows PC to make up some of the cost of the new iMac.

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

6. PaulCostello macrumors member

I'm a recent convert, and noticed that ALL software that comes with mac is usable and great! Software you'd actually want to buy at a store. Take the plunge you'll never look back. This is from a 20 year windows man!

7. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Well, except for the Performa series.

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I started off with a 486sx-20, 2MB RAM, 107MB HDD, DOS 5.1/Win 3.1, $1499 back in 1991. Many computers followed, all DOS/Windows boxes. Took the apple plunge with a late 2009 21.5" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, OS X 10.6.x, $1499.

The iMac hardware is still performing flawlessly, still runs everything I throw at it with great speed and reliability, and still feels new. ALL of the software included in the standard OS X distribution is top quality, does what it is supposed to do, and then some. Garage Band? Amazing! iPhoto? Perfect. The absolute garbage that came loaded on that old 486 and all the boxes since were either trial versions or flaky. I never felt I got all I could out of my computers, always felt they were obsolete at purchase, always felt the software / OS was irresponsibly 'cobbled' together.

During the last 2 years of computing with my iMac, I have never, EVER had a program lock up to the point that I needed to power down my computer. With Windows, that's a very normal occurrence. You know, the "blue screen of death". And, for anyone who remembers DOS, "abort/retry/fail?" anyone? Quality.

9. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I gotta say after my switch to Macs in 2006, I'm very impressed with both the quality and reliability of the hardware and pre-loaded software. It hasn't all been a utopia, but far better than my previous years as a Windows user.

I believe that in life, you get what you pay for.

10. Roheryn macrumors newbie

Don't really agree with that. I had a UK Performa 6500 in 1998. It had the most amazing bundled software I have ever seen. AVID video editing , musical software (can't remember what it was), an early version of, I believe, Paint, photo editing, fax and phone software, ....it went on and on.Oh, and a TV card and a builtin sub-bass woofer.
    Whenever I went in a PC World store in Hounslow to look at the pitiful row of Mac software, the store attendents would stand around discussing their Doom frame-rate. One asked me once what I wanted a Mac (insert sneer here) for. I said "For editing video". The sneer dropped off his face.
    I was editing home movies on the Mac, uploading with titles and transitions and recoding from PAL to NTSC videotape to mail home when they were still engrossed in Wolfenstein.
    And I was supposed to be the loser?? :D

How I loved that 'puter....:eek: