Any kayakers here able to answer a question for me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrono1081, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I just bought a brand new kayak today (A Hurricane Santee 116 Sport, reviews said its a great beginner kayak) and was all excited since it was the color I wanted (green) and the store that had it was only 3 hours away.

Anyway 30 minutes before I got home my brand new kayak roof mount literally fell apart, damaging not only the roof mount, but the brand new kayak.

The kayak may or may not be punctured, I can't tell but the crease the broken roof mount made is pretty deep and I can feel it on the inside of the kayak, plus there are many other gashes. Is something like this fixable if the roof rack company doesn't cover the cost? Or am I out $1000? The material is trylon so I'm not sure if its fixable.

Anyway I know this is Macrumors but the community here has a vast amount of interests so I thought maybe someone may know :D

2. iGav macrumors G3

This thread appears to suggest that it's perfectly possible to repair damage to trylon in a conventional enough way (not all that different to repairing a conventional polyethylene kayak by the looks of it).

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Depending on the company if they will cover it. I know on a mountain bike forum I am in someone had their rack fail and the company said send us the bill. They did request photos and what not but did not out up a huge amount of red tape.
    I can not remember if it was tulu or Yakima.

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks guys for the info.

I filled out my paperwork and mailed the racks back, I just have to get two damage estimates (thats kind of a pain) and send in pictures then they will evaluate a payout.

Its been such a pain : /