Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingturtle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
I love my iPad. I really enjoy my Apple Wireless keyboard with it.

Having to touch the screen and flip flop between wireless keyboard, not so happy.

Anyone miss VIM or Emacs? Seems like a keyboard only text editor would be great on the iPad and would make it to copy paste, edit and all that other VIM (or Emacs) goodness.

I'm a VIM user so my Emac skills are rusty so I'm aware of some of the Emac shortcuts available but I'd like a full fledged keyboard-based text editor.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm sure there must be some market for this.

Closest I can get is via iSSH and SSHing into my server and using VIM remotely, which is good for editing files on my server, but it would be nice to have an VIM iPad app on the system.

wgary

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Could we also get a port of Maple?? It would be awesome to not have to touch the touchscreen (which is made for touching) to check e-mail and to instead just use the keyboard as if the iPad is a 1980s dumb terminal. While we're at it, we could also turn off all those wild colors and just run in monochrome. But really hires monochrome. Totally awesome awesomeness!! (Sorry to poke fun, but I do find it a little ironic to say the least. :))

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
This might not be too difficult to do. EXCEPT.... at this point, any editor on iPad needs to drag along a file manager, access to several types of servers (for upload/download) etc. The task of writing the file manager/server client far overshadows porting the editor.

The situation really stinks.

Maybe after 4.0, when we get a common readable/writable directory.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Could we also get a port of Maple??

Now, that's more practical.

What else? Lynx? (Actually, I think I heard there's a newer/better text-based web browser than Lynx?)

Seriously, I might be game to port some Unix command-line stuff, if it's stuff that's fairly self-contained.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
This is where I get confused.

If I'm going to need to do any substantial editing, enough that makes vim/emacs necessary, I'm going to move over to my desktop/laptop.

I understand the desire to have the capability, but it sounds like you're using the device beyond it's intended scope at that point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.