General Any keyboard fix?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Teste, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Teste macrumors 6502

The only real issue I have with iOS is the keyboard. I don't know much about jailbreaking but I'm willing to give it a try if it solves what is bothering me.

If I type, for example, "I'm in mymhome", to fix the last words (without just deleting it) I have to stop typing, take my hand away from the keyboard, keep my finger exactly between the "m" and the "h", wait until the cursor moves there, hit backspace, put my finger after the "e", and then continue writing. For someone like me who writes a lot, that's extremely annoying; imagine moving around a text without the arrow keys, only having a mouse. Selecting text is equally annoying.

Is there any jailbreak fix that solves this by allowing us to move the cursor by moving our finger through the keyboard? I remember seeing a video about this a while ago, made with the intent to be a suggestion for Apple. Has it actually been adapted into jailbroken phones?

2. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

SwipeSelection. Must have tweak, in my opinion. Just search for it on Cydia.

3. BumpyFlatline, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

+1. Although swipeshiftcaret is equally awesome. Instead of swiping the keyboard you swipe the actual text field where your words appear. Either choice is excellent. I actually prefer swipeshiftcaret because I'm a fast typer and SwipeSelection has a feature where if you press and hold one side of the keyboard and then press the other side it jumps the cursor over one whole word. So when I'm typing fast my cursor jumps around. It's annoying but because its so easy to swipe and move the cursor it's not a huge deal.

Swipeshiftcaret has something annoying too though. Sometimes I can't see the text field and since you swipe that to move the cursor, sometimes I'm not able to swipe because of this.

So in my opinion those are the only 2 quirks with each tweak. Either one is a must have tweak and one of the best reasons for a first time beginner to jailbreak. Simply amazing! So much better than the stock magnifying glass. That thing sucks!

4. Teste thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies! Do those two work with international keyboards (as in, when we hold a letter to make other versions, such as "ã" and "à", appear)?

5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yes

Edit: also works with emojis. I think it works with Cydia apps like graffiti and the one that let's you send those wired faces as a text.