any keyboards made for macs,not by apple

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by timestoby, Oct 11, 2008.

1. timestoby macrumors 6502

im lookn to get an external keyboard for my soon to be mac,but id like to get a cheaper keyboard that is made for macs,not a pc compatible one.do they make such things that arnt the price of a apple mac keyboard.

and if i did get a pc keyboard that is mac compatible,how many of the keys are different. will it be hard to get used to.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

THIS ISN'T 1994. Every USB keyboard is compatible with OS X. You will use the keys in the exact same way as in OS X, they're just printed differently.

3. timestoby thread starter macrumors 6502

i mean a mac keyboard with the mac layout not a pc one that you will have to get used to the keys being different.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Every USB keyboard under the sun will work on either a Windows computer or a Mac. There is nothing getting used to bar the fact that the 'Windows' button is the 'command' button on the mac. And the 'alt' button is the 'option' button on a mac.

That is all. And I think that F13-F15 is volume up, down and mute respectively.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But you won't. Because OS X still maps the hardware to the same place. The keys will still do the same thing as they normally would in OS X.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

My Logitech Wave (wireless) keyboard has the "option" and command symbols painted on the keys below the windows labels.

7. transamman1999 macrumors member

i was just about to say the same thing! i love the wave + my MX Revolution mouse!!

8. boborjacob macrumors newbie

a perhaps ignorant question

could somebody offer an explanation of why any usb wireless keyboard would work with the microsoft of mac operating systems? i really want to get a wireless keyboard, but don't want to pay the price for the ones that say they are compatible with osx. cheers.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Just get any old keyboard that is USB. Take some paper and write Option, Command on the paper. Cut it out, and tape it to the appropriate keys on the keyboard. When you are used to that configuration, remove the paper.