Any known issues with ACD 23"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Simon Young, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Simon Young macrumors member

I'm about to buy a mac pro with a 23" ACD - I use this setup at work and, as far as I'm concerned, these monitors are absolutely gorgeous and by far the best I've worked with. However, they are very expensive and I'd like to know if there are any known problems associated with them, both with build quality and performance. Like I said, my impressions of them are excellent thus far, and I figure there's little point in waiting for a produce refresh because there's little that can be improved, IMHO. Opinions?

2. starcat macrumors member

I had numerous 23" ACDs and while they look really pretty, their colors are good only if you are not critical enough. They don't have an even backlighting and some of them have slight pinkish cast. Probably they are better than Dell but you can't compare them to, say the EIZO CG line of monitors. If you look for the best color reproduction for critical photo/video work the Eizo CGs are the way to go and can also be hardware calibrated. Just my 0.02c.

Also, on two of the used 23" ACDs I have got issues with loose connection on the DVI-plug end of the cable.. Needed to exchange the whole cable. Otherwise no issues, they run and run.

3. LeoFio macrumors regular

I just bought one a couple hours ago (yeah I know there are updates coming maybe - but couldn't get over that "gotta have it now factor!").

Screen looks beautiful, there were 3 stuck pixels, but a light flick with my finger fixed them.

4. Simon Young thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info, but there's no way I can afford an EIZO CG monitor. The prices here in the UK are more than double those of the ACD. I can't say I've noticed a pinkish cast, but I'm not doing much ultra critical colour work. The backlighting seems incredibly even to me but I do not tend to notice it much as I work in a well-lit environment. Still looks as though the ACD is the best option within my budget.

I know what you mean about the updates. I'm almost tempted to wait, but I can't imagine what they could add that would make it worth it. Besides, the updated displays might actually be inferior in some way. The MacBook Pro I recently used had a far less even backlighting than my ancient PowerBook!

Sorry to hear about the stuck pixels, and I'm glad you fixed them so easily. I must say I've never had problems of that sort, but there's a first time for everything! Thanks for the recommendation.

5. LeoFio macrumors regular

Right now the Cinema Displays are a proven design that works. If Apple releases new displays, you always have to be cautious buying an Apple Rev A product ;)

6. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

ACD v's Eizo CG

I have toiled with the idea of which of these two monitors to purchase and in the end ended up with the ACD (on Saturday).

When profiled up with a good quality colour meter (x-rite i1 etc) the results are really good and the tests I have seen in comparison to Eizo CG monitors come pretty close.

Yes, they do have an very, very slight pink cast and are probably not as even as the Eizo's but at less than half the price they are a great monitor.

The deciding factor for me was the fact that the magic behind the Eizo monitors is pretty much all software related. The cheap LCD technology 8bit rather than 10bit and the use of a S-PVA panel in the Eizo put me off considering how much they charge.

When they (or possibly Apple with the updated displays) release an display that is a 10bit IPS panel with LED backlights at a realistic price I'll be happy. And possibly finally we'll see a monitor capable of displaying good colour grads, with detail in the blacks and can produce a real clean and neutral white.

At present I would personally save your money and go ACD (with Applecare).

7. Rendition macrumors member

LED 24" displays are going for $3k+ these days. Even if Apple is able to get them down to $2000, it's not worth it.

I would actually wait for the 24" HP 2475w, which has an IPS panel and is slated to go for about $649. It comes out in a couple of weeks.

8. starcat macrumors member

And thus making them no good? Or software shouldn't cost anything? Pretty much everythign is software related these days. Actually there a few panel manufacturers but so much different monitors. There must be a difference somewhere even if the panels are equal as picture quality is totally different!
    Saving money and going with Applecare?! I would rather invest the AC money in the product itself with a longer warranty by default.

Anyway, there is a reason why something is more expensive. Even for the ACDs - they are stylish as noone else. The CGs are better PQ. Period.

9. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

I agree the CG's do offer a better picture quality however, better quality yes but at double the price you don't get double the quality over he ACD.

I'm yet to see a consumer grade monitor that does not show some sort of picture problem and my argument is it's because the technology behind the screens that's the cause and which software can only reduce rather than eliminate.

At this moment in time, I don't think the outlay warrents the product. LED is the only way forward in showing better tonal control and white levels that are actually white. Until the price of this technology comes down, I'm saving my money.

10. starcat macrumors member

It has always been that while approaching to the highest-end one has to pay a premium for "little" more of quality. The last 5% (going from 95% to the max possible 100%) will cost double and tripple the price comparing to a product of 95% of what is possible. If this is acceptable or not, well, depends on budget and needs, but this is how our economy works. Same with CPU speeds, cameras, lenses, etc. While I have a LED monitor it is by far inferior to my CG221 (the mega expensive first one with 12bit lookup table, 16bit internal processing and AdobeRGB color space), and it is more than 1y old and still marks the top of the top.

11. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

Starcat, if you don't mind me asking, are you a professional photographer?

If so I just wonder what sort of stuff you shoot that needs to be so colour critical and its final output. After all, web uses the smaller sRGB and offset print uses smaller again CMYK colour spaces than Adobe RGB that you insist is the ideal.

To the OP, the 23" ACD will be perfect and when bought at the same time as the MacPro is included in the Applecare for 3 years cover.

12. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Not trying to steal this thread but since the ACDs have gone through some price-drops, when they're renewed, will the prices go back up to their original level again?

13. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

Yes, most definitely. New technology, higher prices.

14. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Cheers, I wasn't sure because most items keep their price, but then again most items don't get price drops.
    I reckon I'll go for a second-hand 20" (but I would absolutely love a 23"), or maybe Apple will put on a deal to clear out stock.. We'll see!

15. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

I take it all back!

Sorry everyone. I'll take all my praise back of the Apple 23" ACD.

While as a general purpose monitor it is great and the colours after calibration are good.

However after living with the monitor for a week, the honeymoon period was over. As soon as i replaced the jazzy desktop picture with my usual working mid grey background I started to notice problems with the screen.

While it was pretty evenly illuminated (to the eye) there was a terrible colour shift from neutral to magenta (pink). After calibration things got worse. All I can put it down to was the i1 colourmeter was trying to remove the magenta cast on the RHS and introducing a green cast to the LHS.

I too it back to the sore where I bought it from for an exchange and the three other screens I tried had the same if not worse problem. I have now had a refund and purchasing a different make of monitor.

For a £600 pro quality screen this is totally unacceptable. It would seem all the cost has gone on the aluminium case rather than the screen.

Its hard to see on the attached pic but its not good.