any known issues with MBP 13 (mid-2010) + WD7500BPVT?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ihonda, Jun 14, 2010.

1. ihonda macrumors 68000

was considering putting one of these bad boys in my new macbook, ive read threads where people are having issues with the 500GB drive and macbooks.. id like to hear from people who have this new 750gb drive.

2. apbsignal macrumors newbie

I don't have latest Macbook Pro, but I installed the WD7500BPVT in my mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro5,5 three weeks ago.

The WD7500BPVT is a relatively quiet hard drive -- just slightly more audible than the original Hitachi 5K500 160GB drive, which is nearly silent.

For what it's worth, System Profiler reports Link Speed: 3 Gigabit; Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit. Of course the actual speed is significantly less.

I use SMARTReporter to monitor the drive's status.
    http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

I found the Load Cycle Count was increasing at about 100/hour, so I installed Lingon and hdapm to solve the issue.
    http://mymacfixes.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-do-i-stop-clicking-noise-from-hard.html

I didn't notice any clicking before installing hdapm, but I thought it best to install it anyway.

3. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks. ordering now for $115 - $37 ebay bucks! :)

how do i go about cloning my current 250GB over to the 750GB or is it better to start fresh

4. apbsignal macrumors newbie

1. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original drive to a backup drive.

2. I installed the new drive in the MacBook Pro.

3. I partitioned the new drive with the OS X Disc Utility.

4. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the backup drive to the new drive.

If I had an external enclosure that supported SATA I could have copied the original drive directly to the new drive.

5. ihonda thread starter macrumors 68000

do you notice any battery life issues, beachballs, speed increase or anything like that?

6. apbsignal macrumors newbie

I haven't performed any objective testing, but the new drive seems to be at least as fast as the original with similar battery life and no beach ball issues.