Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tocyk

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I just bought my MBP yesterday, and I was wondering if there are things you should always be aware about?

I just read about calibrating the battery, and yellow screens, etc.

I recently downloaded the CocoanutBattery program, and somehow my battery has already dropped to 99%, is that normal after only one day of 4/5 of plugged in usage?

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Keep an eye on the temp ....download FanControl .

Watch the drive entrance for bowing

Dents in case from drops etc

otherwise , enjoy your new Mac , you lucky thing you :)

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
You really don't need Fan Control unless you have one of the older MBPs that ran hot while just surfing the web and listening to music. The new ones run much cooler now and only get really hot when you push them hard.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I tend to only 'look for' dead/stuck pixels. If there's anything else it will become apparent as you use it, but I wouldn't go searching for problems ;)

mperdun

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Make sure you don't use your screen further back than at a 90 degree angle from the base. Apparently the casing has a hard time handling the screen being used back as far as it goes and it gets cracks in the casing and you'll end up like a few of us have with the screen totally falling off the unit.

Its been a good laptop though and holds up pretty well all things considered. I have noticed the power drains fast, so I keep it plugged in when I can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.