Any known problems with the 24-inch Cinema Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by powerbook911, Dec 19, 2009.

1. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Are there currently any known issues with the 24-inch Cinema Displays? I'm considering the purchase of an used one.

Thanks for any advice. I hope this is still a decent display despite the release of the 27-inch iMacs.

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

just basic ones you might run into like a dead pixel or some color mishaps

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

Probably no more than any other display. I love mine; easily the best display I have ever used.

4. RLUK macrumors newbie

I bought one a few weeks ago and it has a 'blinking' problem, where the screen flashes to black for about a second at random intervals - seems like it is quite a common issue that Apple have been trying to solve for almost a year now, see the link below:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1902288&start=150&tstart=0

Mine is going back to be replaced/repaired under AppleCare. It's a great display though and I would recommend it, I'm looking forward to having a problem free one :)

5. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Thanks. Sounds like a winner, sadly the resolution seems to be behind now a bit considering the new iMacs and whatnot. I hope they don't have a new one January 1. ha-ha. Thanks again.

6. mac2x macrumors 65816

The resolution is fine for the size. Remember that the new 27" iMac is more closely comparable to the 30" Cinema Display.

7. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

True, but the 21.5 inch iMac has about the same resolution as the 24-inch display , well on the width it matches it, but I guess it's ok. Looking forward to the display.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

9. akm3 macrumors 68020

The price :)

No seriously it's gorgeous. It's only 'problems' are stuff everyone knows about, like only having one input that only takes Mini Display Port, etc.

Technically I haven't heard or experienced a thing.

10. mac2x macrumors 65816

Yep, but the new iMacs are 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080). I have one, and it's VERY nice, but I frankly prefer 16:10 (1920 x 1200 in this case) for the extra real estate.

11. snookiesnoo1977 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about buying one too but the minimal inputs are holding me back. The best deal i have seen is $599 for a refurb from Apple.

12. powerbook911 thread starter macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Hi, I'm back to wear I may need one of these as the iMac screens seem to be all Yellow.

Are these 24-inch ACD LED displays known for the same yellow, or they generally yellow free?

Thanks.

13. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

My 24" Cinema Display is yellow free. The only thing that I noticed is there are a few specs of dust under the glass. The dust is in an area that I don't look at much so it is not a nuisance to me. I only really notice them when there is a lot of white on the area the dust is. Other that that the screen is amazing and will make you spoiled when you have to use a monitor that is not as good. I would suggest getting a refurbished one to save $300.00.

14. August West macrumors member

I picked one up on New Years Eve for use with my mini and so far I love it. It is easily the best monitor I've used. Not only does it have a great image, it looks great just sitting on the desk.

So far, no issues with it at all. I saw the "blacking out" thread over at the apple support forums and was a little worried about it but so far I haven't seen it with the mini.

As mentioned, the cords are short and I even had an extension ready to go but it turned out they are just the right length for the mini that sits just in back and off to the side of the display.

The input options are limited and this could be an issue for some people. In the past I've only had my monitor hooked up to the computer and I don't see that changing so I can't see this as ever being an problem in my situation. If you need more inputs, it could definitely be a problem.

I was a little concerned about the reflective screen too but the room it is in doesn't have any direct back lighting so it hasn't been an issue at all. If you are in a bright room or have back lighting this could be troublesome though.

I find the 1920 x 1200 res. to be perfect for a 24" display. I wouldn't want (and wouldn't purchase) a higher res in a screen this size and I much prefer the 16:10 to the 16:9 that is becoming so common now.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1