Any LaCie 2big Quadra owners out there?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LagunaSol, May 16, 2009.

1. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

(FYI: this is the dual-drive external RAID enclosure)

Before I buy I need to know about the noise level of this thing. Is it as loud as some reviewers say? More so than a typical external drive? Your feedback would be appreciated.

And on a side note, how can Apple cool a 24" LCD, dual-core CPU, fast GPU (Radeon 4850) and a hard drive (in my new 24" iMac) and make hardly a whisper doing it, yet my current external hard drive fans make even more noise?

2. DanielCalladine macrumors member

Hello,

I have this drive connected to a Timecapsule and it does make a bit of noise but isn't too bad.

It has an internal fan that runs permanently and although it's a bit annoying it does make the disks run very cool, especially compared to the Timecapsule which is normally really hot.

It is an excellent drive though apart from the fan noise.

Western Digital do a similar mirror drive which might be quieter.

Hope this helps

3. bobdupneu macrumors newbie

Unbearable noise level

I just bought the 2big Network 2 drive, which is similar in (mis)conception to the 2big quadra and I'm trying to use it at home : the noise level is absolutely unbearable (to me).
    When it's on, I have the feeling that I'm sitting in an airplane. I have a Mac Pro with 4 drives and 8 cores which makes almost no noise, and this LaCie drive with supposedly 'SuperQuiet' cooling system makes 10 times that noise and spoils the whole experience.
    Of course, if you are working in a very noisy environment, you might not notice the noise. But that's definitely not a drive you would put in a living room, in a study or on your desk. It's really a distracting and disturbing noise.
    My wife can't stand the noise either and she told me right away that I would have to chose between her and the noisy drive. I figured that I'd rather keep the wife (even though she has as much trouble as the LaCie keeping quiet), so I'm trying to send the drive back to LaCie as I think that the description of the product on their website, which states that it is super quiet, is a misrepresentation. So far, no answer.
    I'm still wondering how a drive like that could be engineered, produced and then marketed as a quiet drive.