any lawyers here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lmcintyre, Apr 15, 2007.

1. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First advice: Don't ask for legal advice on the Internet.
    Second: If you are being shafted, contact a local lawyer
    Third: If you were inebriated and you did blow over the limit, what's your beef?
    Fourth: Don't try to keep this a secret from the parental unit(s).

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Advice: Stop underage drinking.

I hate when people knowingly break the law, get caught, and try to weasel their way out of it. I hope they send the citation home, and I hope you get in trouble.

3. fotografica macrumors 68040

If you're 16 and failed a breathalyzer,not much recourse there..

4. lmcintyre thread starter macrumors regular

5. shecky Guest

shecky

my advice? don't drop the soap in the shower. tho you would be getting exactly what you deserve.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

depends on the local laws. In Texas if you are under 21 and blow anything they will yank you DL for a while, give you a nice fine to pay, Community service and normally have to take an alcohol awareness class.

Of that list it is a safe bet that you will have a nice expensive fine to pay the city, have to take the class and more than like have at least 20 hours of community service to do. Also you DL will be under threat. If I remember the laws in Texas correct if you are under 18 when it happens you loose you DL until you are 18.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Five: When posting a question, ask the real question you want the answer to.

- like "how does the system work and what will happen next? " -- and tell us what system you live in

Otherwise if you ask an open ended question with no context people will have to make assumptions about what you are asking and what your motivations are. Don't be shocked when they assume the worst.

A call to the courthouse, police station, sherrif's office or Community Legal Services - depending on what's appropriate for your community - will get you the factual information about what the process is. It may even be on your local governmental website.

As far as what is your best option: I think the consensus here is take your medicine without protest, recognize you made a mistake (and say so when asked, esp. by a judge) and then get on with life.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Aren't you so cool. :rolleyes:

Next time ask the question you intend people to answer.

9. fotografica macrumors 68040

Six.... Strap it on,act like you got a pair and take it like a man. It builds character. And don't lie to the parental unit.Nothing good ever comes of that ;)

10. sturigdson macrumors regular

Seven:
    Ride it out, grow, learn something from it. Seriously.

I had something like this come up at about your age. In the end, I discovered I had to actually make some choices, get some responsibility for myself. You'll be much better off if you take what comes, really consider your part in it, and become a better person because of it.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

It's just an MIP, relax. If your parents know about it already the worst of it is over. I don't know what your location is but I've never heard of a state where MIP is more than a simple forfeiture. My only legal advice is to start saving your money, you'll have a fine to pay off pretty soon. Since you're only 16, it's really not a big deal. It should be expunged from your record when you turn 18.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Can someone explain what "expunged" means? Does it mean DELETED from everyones view or just most peoples view.

IE. Someone wants a government job, does the government see the expunged charge or not.

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

My guess, Expunged technically means deleted forever, but I would imagine that certain groups would have access to expunged records.

14. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Well, I have a weird feeling that your parents don't actually know and that you are trying to hide it from them, and that's why you are online trying to figure out what will happen next; but I really don't care enough to go into anymore detail.

If they said they would mail a citation home then wait by the mailbox and read it when you get it. I'm pretty sure it will tell you what to do. But before you go online and ask for an online lawyer :rolleyes: maybe you should call your local authorities and ask them, do some other research online, or maybe you could have asked the cop last night.

However, why are you looking for a lawyer? The title says that you are and I'm wondering if you believe they did something wrong or if you have an "out" for the situation....like they caught you on your buddies front lawn but your shoes were inside so technically you were inside....

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your attitude alone about your situation that you put yourself in makes me hope that you lose something from this whether it be time with your friends, your freedom, your license, or something that will sting when it's taken away.

And you're welcome for us being your mom and slapping you on the hand. Clearly you need some direction if you're drinking at 16 in the US.

Keywords: you, yourself, your

See the trend?

16. BigPrince macrumors 68020

/owned

17. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have no idea if it's completely, totally wiped off of the face of the earth or not (my guess would be no), but I can tell you that I had to undergo an FBI background check for a job and a certain, ahem, mistake I made at age 16 wasn't on it.

You're joking, right? Surely you don't think all 16 year olds sit around campfires and sing kumbayah? So long as this kid wasn't driving under the influence I really see no fault with breaking the highest drinking age in the world.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You should be thankful you didn't get hauled into the local PD. Sounds like the law are the ones slapping you on the hand.

19. Winterfell macrumors regular

In the U.S. you're old enough to go to war, but not old enough to drink alcohol. Oh what a forward-thinking nation in which we live. :rolleyes:

20. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

One of my firends got a citation last year and they were 16. They got a $200 fine and had to go to an alcohol awareness class. They even got to miss school to go to it! Im not sure what they will do in Texas but thats what they di in maryland. It shouldn't be a whole lot diffrent though. BTW, be more carefull next time. How did you get caught anyways?

21. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Be more careful next time? How about "Don't drink at age 16." If you're going to drink underage, don't do it while you're living under the same roof as your parents.

22. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Not exactly. He's 16, which means he's not quite to the fightin' age yet.

To the OP: be glad. In Tennessee, a DUA (Drinking Under Age) is fairly serious (of course, we're the only state to still have a rape law, not a sexual assault law too). Here, you'd be looking at a court date and at least 48 hours in jail. That's on top of losing your license until you're 18.

What makes our fine state even more fun is that no proof is required for a DUA conviction. IE: If you're 16 and get pulled over by a police officer, he can throw your ass in jail for a DUA without ever doing a blood test or giving you a breathalizer. And, when you get to court, since you have no blood test or breathalizer to proove otherwise, the judge typically will believe the police officer over you and congratulations! You've just been convicted!

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Dude, that really sucks. As a fellow 16 year old, I know what goes on. No most of us do not sit around the campfire and sing kumbaya and the fire is not the only thing smoking. Nor do we go to the beach and sing sea shanties. Beach towels are not the only rolled items either. (although I personally don't drink, I don't even like juice, nor do I smoke)

The laws in Connecticut are pretty strict. I believe your license is suspended for 90 automatically, and then a judge can (and will) suspend it for an additional amount of time. You are also fined $500 or more. It all depends on how much you were intoxicated.

Basically man, you're f***ed. There isn't' much you can do.

I'm not going to be like everyone else thats slapping you. You messed up, you know you put peoples lives in danger, and I am sure you probably won't do it again after what you have faced already.

24. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

dont worry man... i knwo it mmight seem scary...just ride it out...bit down because you are at their mercy now....im 18 and i have no problem with drinking or drugs....i think tis a persons choice and not up to some government to tell me what ican and can not put into my body despite the results of it... **** em all... at any rate...god luck let su know what happens please iwanna know....