Any Left-Handers here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by doubleohseven, Feb 7, 2008.

1. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I don't expect a rapid response in this thread since only 10% of the world is left handed :eek:. But while I was in maths class, I thought of this:

10% of the world uses a Mac, and 10% of the world is left handed. If my calculations are correct, that would mean 1% of the world's population uses a Mac and is left-handed! I'm curious to find out who else (besides me) is part of that 1%! :D

So, is anyone left-handed here?

2. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Thanks, that was an interesting thread :).

So, are you part of the 1% club? :D

3. Queso macrumors G4

Certainly am :) I'm the one always moaning about Apple not being more agnostic regarding the siting of DVD slots etc. in their current designs. Time was that everything important along those lines was central (e.g. iMac G3 or G4). These days they tend to put the slots on the right. For some left-handers that's just awkward.

4. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Are you that drastically one-handed, that you can't use your other hand to put a DVD in a slot?! Apologies if you are disabled in anyway.

That is some serious lack of co-ordination!

I'm left handed by the way... :)

5. Queso macrumors G4

I can do it, but it does take considerably more effort. I have a lack of hand-eye co-ordination on the right side, probably more to do with the eye than the hand, because if something doesn't require the input of sight (such as playing a guitar) my right hand just gets on with it quite happily.

6. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I'm left handed and a Mac user. So I'm a proud member of the one percent club.

Now, excuse me, I gotta go join the mile high club. :D

7. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

I'm left handed! Actually, I play tennis best doing a backhand with my right arm and I kick with my right foot too. So, I'm kind of ambidextrous.

8. Greasyman macrumors member

I used to have two roommates and all three of us were left handed. I wonder what the chances of that were. We were all kind of artistic too.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Your calculations are assuming that being left handed and using a mac are independent events, in which case the probability of someone being left handed and using a mac = 0.1 * 0.1 = 0.01. However, is the assumption of independence valid?

10. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

That wouldn't be ambidextrous, that would be cross-dominant like me. Ambidextrous people (of which there are fewer than left-handed or cross-dominant people) are equal or just about equal with both sides of the body in every activity.

11. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Pure lefty, Mac user since 1989, owner since 2004.

Although in actuality my left hand is only for writing, drawing, and so forth. Most everything else I do righty.

12. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Again, you're also mix-handed/cross-dominant like me, not "pure lefty."

13. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Im left handed and I do everything with my left I cant even write a line with my right so im pure lefty

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple is a lefty's paradise. Their stores however are not.
    Not everyone can be perfect.:D

15. al3000 macrumors 6502

16. 119576 Guest

I am also left-handed.
    (well, I'm cross-dominant)

17. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

18. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I'm left handed. And in my experience, about 50% of the people in my field (creative) are as well. Odds are stacked for the Mac.

19. TheBusDriver macrumors 6502

I'm a lefty! I do everything with my left sides.

20. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I too am a member of the 1% club! :cool: Pretty odd since all of my immediate family is Right handed. I write and do everything left handed unless I have to do stuff with my right hand. I can do it, but it isn't great. One thing that annoys me to no end is that whenever I use a pen for assignments it always smears on my hand.:mad:

21. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'm left-handed! Though I golf right-handed, play guitar right-handed, use a mouse in my right hand, etc. I'm not really ambidextrous. I just use a different hand for each task. :D

22. JohnMC macrumors 6502

I use my left hand for everything. I bat left, play hockey left, use the computer mouse in my left hand, write, ...

BTW, if so many of us creative mac users are left handed, why does logitech not make a lefty version of the MX70?

MonksMac, I hate getting ink all over my hand too.

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Me too... because everyone else's clubs are right handed, guitars are right-handed, and mouse is on the right side. In a way it makes you stronger.