Any LG OLED TV Owners, advice needed

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac Rules, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mac Rules, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hi All,

I'm facing a dilemma, I am in the market for a new 55" screen and have settled upon getting one of LG's 2016 OLED screens given the recent price drops, below are my options...
    (CHF Swiss Francs for those who don't know)

B6 1819
    C6 1899
    E6 2399

I will spend most of the time gaming on PS4/PS4 Pro with some AppleTV, Neflix and regular tv. Overall I prefer a flat screen (although the C6 curve is subtle) and do think 3D is cool but do not personally have an 3D content to play. Additionally I have no sound system so in the interim the E6's sound bar could be a decent stopgap.

Annoyingly I can find positves and negatives in each one, but given the prices above would anyone specifically recommend going for any of the models in particular? Is the E6 worth the extra outlay over the C6? Is C6 actually 100 CHF better than the B6? etc etc

2. steve123 macrumors 6502

I researched these a while ago and i recall that the E6 was the eay to go for for the life of me ai do not recall exactly why. Sorry i am of no help.

For me, i am waiting for a 75" or larger OLED screen. I have a Sharp 52" and it just doesnt seem to me that its worth it to upgrade yet.

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

4. gadgetfreak98 macrumors newbie

I personally purchased a B6 (65", not 55") during Black Friday promotions last November. At the time the B and the C variants were priced identically. My reasoning for going with the B65 was:

1. The panels themselves are the same across the entire 2016 line. You can Google that to see that this is widely reported. So you gain no picture quality improvement for the extra $, or in your case, CHF.
    2. Note that the B line supposedly has a different video processor than the C, E of G models. Some speculate this may impact response time -- perhaps more so with gaming -- but I notice no issue one way or another (and am not a serious gamer)
    3. I had no interest in the curved screen, so that ruled out the C line.
    4. I had no interest in 3D (which seems like a gimmick that never quite caught on). So, again, the C offered me no advantage here. If you want 3D, though, you will at least need a C.
    5. I liked the aesthetics of the B with its slim bezel (although the E looks nice too)
    6. I already have a sound system, so the sound bar offered me no value (and frankly the B's internal speaker sounds decent).
    So I decided to spend as little as I could since I knew I'd be getting the best picture quality on the market anyway. This way I won't feel so bad if I decide to upgrade a little sooner if technology continues to rapidly advance.

Hope that helps.

5. yadmonkey, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I spent lots of time researching this (reading and posting at AVSForum.com too) before settling on the C6. I've had my C6 since July and freaking love the thing.

My reasoning: I'm a big gamer and the B6 adds more latency than the other models (adds about 20-25ms I think). That alone killed the B6 for me. Some people are more sensitive to latency than others, but I figured I'd mention it since you mentioned gaming. So it was really down to the C6 and the E6. I dislike the look of the built-on soundbar on the E6 and didn't think it sounded all that great compared to aftermarket soundbars. Other than that the E6 a great model, just not worth the premium IMO. My main reservation with the C6 was the curve, but that ended up being a complete non-issue. It's subtle and for me it disappears immediately, assuming you're sitting at an appropriate distance (about 5.5 feet for me).

As for 3D, it wasn't a factor for me, but I ended up loving it. A lot of people dismiss it outright and I think it's because the industry pushed it long before it was well implemented. So people got a bad taste for it. Stupid industry. The passive 3D on the OLEDs is very well implemented and I enjoy the depth it adds. Life of Pi is a great example.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy the C6 again in a heartbeat. This TV makes 1080p content look far better than I would have expected and 4K content looks stunning!

6. archer75 macrumors 65816

7. Spankey macrumors 6502a

I have an E6. If you don’t want 3D go with the B6. The sound system on the E6 is not that great. Save your money and get a better soundbar.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Gimmick? 3D is how your eyes see the world. Hardly a gimmick. I love 3d movies. When filmed or converted right they can be quite spectacular, and again, how you see things in the real world.

I'm not sure why TV makers have suddendly decided to abandon it all at the same time. That seems rather fishy to me. Also can't be saving them much money since the technology is a mature developed one, so it seems silly to not just tack it on for whoever still wants it considering their are hundereds of movies with 3D content out there. At least make one model each year for people. Shouldn't be difficult.

9. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

OP was asking for advice 6 months ago. I doubt he is still trying to make a decision. ;)

10. pdmpolishing macrumors member

I would go for a 2017 model as these now allow passthrough of Dolby Atmos.

11. cube macrumors G5

I would not buy a 2017 LG OLED as they are not 3D. They have one IPS.

12. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Old thread I know, but I agree with the above - 3D tv at home was a gimmick.

Neither TV I have at home - an LG B6 in the living room and Samsung KS7000 in the bedroom now have 3D - both of the panels they replaced had 3D, and I can count on one hand the number of times I actually used it.

13. cube macrumors G5

There's people who refuse to buy non-OLED, and people who refuse to buy non-3D.

14. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Seems like you haven't seen a well implemented 3D blu ray on a quality 3D-capable TV. I thought it was a gimmick too, but was wrong and the onus belongs to an industry that pushed 3D at home long before it was ready. Frankly, it sucked. Most of the TVs implemented 3D poorly and the 3D mastering on too many blu rays sucked.

However, if you couple a quality passive 3D TV (C6, E6, G6) with a well mastered 3D blu ray (Avatar, Hobbit movies, Doctor Strange, Captain America Civil War, Life of Pi, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 for some examples), AND you sit at an appropriate viewing distance, then the result is absolutely spectacular.

It's a shame that the industry blew it so badly with 3D, but as an OLED owner, it shouldn't be too hard to wrap your head around. Most 4K TVs say they are HDR compatible but suffer from hardware limitations that severely hamper HDR's potential benefit. On an OLED, the benefit is undeniable. Same with 3D, assuming the movie was well mastered, which many older titles were not.

15. cube macrumors G5

Also giving a bad rep, many movies are just 3D conversions, not shot with 3D cameras.

Animated 3D movies usually look the best.